Wheat Vodka

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Wheat Vodka

Postby Teddysad » Mon May 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I’d recommend buying the malted grain to start with. I paid $50 for 25kg sack of malted wheat last week.

What do you pay for 25kg of sugar out of interest.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Teddysad » Mon May 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:All grain shits on sugar washes :handgestures-thumbupleft: what malt are u gunna use to convert the starch to sugar the yeast can use?

Not necessarily. Vodka has been traditionally made from the lowest cost available sugar source be it cereal grain, corn, barley beet or even whey (milk by-product). Much of the wheat vodka comes from the places where sugar crops as we know it are not readily produced as they are in our neck of the woods whereas wheat is.

The key is to get a flavour / character into the end product.

If sugar is cheapest one can do this with say a wheat product ( ie TFFV) without going through the malting process for grains / cereal.
Last edited by Teddysad on Mon May 06, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Tue May 07, 2019 9:45 am

i know sugar is far cheaper just thought i would have a go with grains to see how the process works. This wash is far more expensive and more time consuming than the sugar wash, but you'll never know if you don't have a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
brisvalleymoonshiner

equipment: Copper 4 plate 800mm packed section 50ltr keg boiler

Postby bluc » Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 am

I reakon only way to get authentic flavour is with all grain.. only had success with single malt whisky so far. My American whiskey still needs work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Tue May 07, 2019 1:15 pm

bluc wrote:I reakon only way to get authentic flavour is with all grain.. only had success with single malt whisky so far. My American whiskey still needs work :handgestures-thumbupleft:

what are you using to cook in? Are you set up for AG?
brisvalleymoonshiner

Postby bluc » Tue May 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Check out viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10493 you might pick up some tips. Will be adding more to it in next couple weeks enzymes and unmalted grain will be my next adventure. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby wynnum1 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:50 pm

If trying to make all grain vodka to get high enough original gravity need to use high grain to water ratio and when mashing a thick mash does not transfer heat so need to be careful how you heat and how measure the temperature of the mash need to stir constantly .
wynnum1

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue May 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Teddysad wrote:
Wobblyboot wrote:I’d recommend buying the malted grain to start with. I paid $50 for 25kg sack of malted wheat last week.

What do you pay for 25kg of sugar out of interest.

Half that. It’s not about the price for me.
Teddysad wrote:
Wobblyboot wrote:All grain shits on sugar washes :handgestures-thumbupleft: what malt are u gunna use to convert the starch to sugar the yeast can use?

Not necessarily. Vodka has been traditionally made from the lowest cost available sugar source be it cereal grain, corn, barley beet or even whey (milk by-product). Much of the wheat vodka comes from the places where sugar crops as we know it are not readily produced as they are in our neck of the woods whereas wheat is.

The key is to get a flavour / character into the end product.

If sugar is cheapest one can do this with say a wheat product ( ie TFFV) without going through the malting process for grains / cereal.

I’ve made plenty of ur ffv for neutral, it’s one of the best sugar recipes there is. Dunno why people bother with tpw, it no where near as good. I have made plenty grain mashes and found the flavor better in every way for whiskies. U have made plenty of ffv :handgestures-thumbupleft: how does it compare to an all grain wheat vodka?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Teddysad » Tue May 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Modesty holds me back. I will let others of the many users reply before I do
Teddysad

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue May 07, 2019 6:40 pm

Teddysad wrote:Modesty holds me back. I will let others of the many users reply before I do

U have made an all grain wheat vodka before to compare with?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 am

bluc wrote:Check out http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic ... 12&t=10493 you might pick up some tips. Will be adding more to it in next couple weeks enzymes and unmalted grain will be my next adventure. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers I'll get reading :handgestures-thumbupleft:
brisvalleymoonshiner

Previous

Return to The Mash tun