pink stuff in cracked corn

all about mashing and fermenting grains

pink stuff in cracked corn

Postby invisigoth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 pm

hi all :)

i bought 5kg of cracked corn from a produce store, and when I had a better look, noticed there were buts of the cob that were pink as well as the odd grain. i suspect this may be mould. the mould itself would be killed off by the mashing process, but i was wondering if any mycotoxins present would carry over into the distillate, or would it be left behind in the backset?
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Re: pink stuff in cracked corn

Postby coffe addict » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Without a pic it's hard to know,l but seed grain is treated with an anti fungal which probably isn't the sort of stuff you'd want in your wash. This anti fungal is usually pink!
It's possible they've had some old seed grain left that they've just chopped up thinking it was going to feed birds or horses.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Only ever used feed corn never seen pink bits in it..Matter fact ground 10kg today for tomorrows first ever 100%corn...
Resized_20190712_151447.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Perhaps a pigeon got to close while they were grinding it up :O) :laughing-rolling:
Seriously though there is a heirloom corn that is red perhaps a small amount of that mixed in with yellow corn? Never seen mold on any feed grain. Found what I thought were rat waste turned out to be wheat seed ...
Last edited by bluc on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Learn something new everyday http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... 1114a9.htm
Seems its not ideal even for stock feed ...I doubt anything will make it through distillation but entirely up to you weather or not you use it.. :-B
bluc
Site Donor

Postby invisigoth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:01 pm

thanx for the replies guys.

last time i bought this stuff, i asked about treatments, and they assured me it was untreated... no pesticides, no fungicides. the pink stuff was mostly on large bits of cob, as well as some grain bits. from my previous experience, it looked to me to be fungal. but... i found the answer to my question which was "will any mycotoxins carry over into the distillate?" i found my answer in a paper titled "The Fate of Mycotoxins during the Distillation Process of Barley Shochu, a Distilled Alcoholic Beverage" . the answer was... nope, any mycotoxin not damaged by the heat of distillation will stay in the boiler and not carry over inot the product :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Return to The Mash tun