First AG(ish) Mash

all about mashing and fermenting grains

First AG(ish) Mash

Postby MattSmith » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:21 pm

I tried my hand at the sweet mash corn whiskey in the Tried & Proven section. Had to squeeze some grain for the 3rd 50lt stripping run but it wasn't too painful. The 4th run was a different story. Shoveling wet grain out of a 240lt drum is a PITA. Barely got 20lt out of it. Went to run it today and got 1lt in before it started smelling burnt. Turned everything off and when I got to look inside there was a fairly thick sludge in the bottom. It went in as a liquid for sure. Is this something to look out for when trying to squeeze the last drop out of grain?
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Re: First AG(ish) Mash

Postby harold01 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:28 pm

I am going down the centrifuge path ( experiment )
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby Wellsy » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:33 am

Hello Matt
It is a balancing act as always mate as the last bit will often have more flavour, due to all the tiny particles in suspension but also be the most likely to burn, surprise surprise, due to the tiny particles in suspension.
Let it settle for a day or two will help, if you can cold crash it even better.
After a while you start doing the maths and 20 litres wash = 5 litres low wines = 1 litre from spirit run= 1/2 litre hearts = screw it it can get tipped out lol. Well that’s my logic anyway as I had to fight with a 240 litre barrel once and I am a lazy bastard.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby MattSmith » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:10 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze either. Next time I think I'll just quit when it stops running out easy and dump some sugar on top of what's left and just top it back up.
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Return to The Mash tun