Bloody water

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Bloody water

Postby oldschool » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 pm

: Can anyone give some info on iron in the bloody water. I'm told from the research I've done with Melbourne water it's a minimal amount, but what's safe ? I would like to get it rite for aging grain based one day and I would hate it tarnished. Im also told that rain water is no good as it has Algie and slime and all other types of wiggly, slimy shit in it, so now I'm really confused. Anyone of you grain gurus got any answers for that bag of Poo.
oldschool

equipment: works in progress..........

Re: Bloody water

Postby stephenkentucky » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:20 pm

OldSchool
I have used rainwater safely for decades..and we own a commercial Brewery....but for good conversion of starches it often lacks some micro nutrients so I add 5% bore water which is rich in micronutrients.... there are ways of achieving this if you do not have access to a known source of heavy water...you can buy nutrients to emulate the great brewing and distilling waters of the world...often referred to as
Burtonisation as brewers who make english ales value the water from the river Trent ...from the town Burton on Trent...the site of the Bass ale brewery...you could search Craft Brewer in QLD or Marks Home Brew in Newcastle...they should be able to supply water additives...I would also search the Burtonisation of water and water for brewing.
best of luck I hope this helps
Stephen
stephenkentucky

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Mate when your talking about water and if its safe you can use pretty much anything you can get your hands on in Oz (apart from maybe a dam or a puddle on the side of the road!)

Unless your rainwater tank is putting out shit that isn't clear or tastes like complete arse its probably allright. In the end it is going to be distilled anyway it all depends wether it is going to fuck your wash.

As long as the PH isn't off the chart you should be allright.

For the iron content, pretty sure we need that in our diet anyway. Your not talking about lead are ya? :laughing-rolling:

Anyway for aging your spirits in the end game I reckon the very best spirit judges in the world would be hard pressed to determine what type and where you used the water for the initial ferment as there are way too many other variables that will have a lot more effect on the end product.

Or if you are talking about what to cut your end spirit with back to drinking strength then just pay the couple of bucks and buy spring water :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby wolbi74 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi mate,

Used good old tap water for all my stilling and cutting- no probs.
Suppose you could always distill your water.

Let us know how you go
wolbi74

equipment: Pot Still

Postby NT CICHLIDS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am

This water thing has got me worried, I am on bore water which is hard and has a PH of around 7.5 - 8, I can find anyhitng to tell me what the preffered PH is, anyone, please.

I haven't yet purchased a still, just trying to learn what I can before I do
NT CICHLIDS

equipment: None yet but looking at a T500, maybe?

Postby Camikaze » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 am

NT CICHLIDS wrote:This water thing has got me worried, I am on bore water which is hard and has a PH of around 7.5 - 8, I can find anyhitng to tell me what the preffered PH is, anyone, please.

Youre in the top end like me mate. Stick a keg and funnel in the rain and it'll be full in 20 minutes. :laughing-rolling:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby JayD » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 am

Camikaze wrote:
NT CICHLIDS wrote:This water thing has got me worried, I am on bore water which is hard and has a PH of around 7.5 - 8, I can find anyhitng to tell me what the preffered PH is, anyone, please.

Youre in the top end like me mate. Stick a keg and funnel in the rain and it'll be full in 20 minutes. :laughing-rolling:

I pretty much do that down here in Tas when its raining...good clean water from the sky fresh off the ocean and mountains...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby crow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 pm

I wouldn't be to worried about hard water washes go acidic very quickly but yeah if I was up there I would have a tank or palleton hooked up ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm

I reckon your water isnt that far off, mine is 7.4 from the kitchen tap, and i think Mac's was about 9.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=456&p=43245#p43245
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to The Mash tun