Wild ferment? or backset auto fire ?

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Wild ferment? or backset auto fire ?

Postby Freemasha » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 pm

hello distilling friends !

i ask of you wise still masters yet again, one day i shall contribute, not leech i promise!

i recently threw down a batch of 20kgs cracked corn and 12kgs sugar (100lt batch) ment for a vodka base, took corn up to mash using 10-15lts backset from a previous whisky job temp left overight to rest then filled with sugar brought to mash temp again is squeeze anymore from the corn, then rose to just boil for 10 + mins.

the original idea was to leave overnight to cool as i dislike the idea of clogging my plate chiller and then seperating into to 50lt stainless kegs ( as its an ally pot). adding lowans etc when around 25.

so i wander out this afternoon to complete said mission, to find a loverly puke smelling white cap sitting at 45 degreaa allready dopped .10,

my questions:

has the backset provided viable yeast ? or is this some sort of wild infextion ?

should i boil for an hour to kill it all and re pitch once cool , or run with it and see how it rolls ?

and if i run with it, how long do you think it can sit in ally before it kills me ?
Freemasha

equipment: LOOKING FOR 100LT STAINLESS BOILER

Re: Wild ferment? or backset auto fire ?

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Mass produced yeast or wild yeast,they all convert sugar into booze,in all honesty,yeah I know it's hard to believe,but after 3-4 generations,the yeast that you first used,wether it be bakers or overpriced,so called 'specialty' yeasts,turns into a house yeast,taking on the traits of what you are brewing.
Me,I'd let it run it course and see how it turns out :handgestures-thumbupleft: BTW,bakers yeast is derived from molasses,so I'm led to believe
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 pm

whiskey backset, corn + sugar sounds very nice :handgestures-thumbupleft: but thats a sour mash bourbon recipe that will have alot of flavour.
TPW would make a more neutral vodka.
I read on your other post that you have been brewing a while so its probily a resonabily suitable wyld yeast infection you have contracted if you are worried add some more yeast and let nature fight it out.
I have read of poeple catching wild yeasts on purpose for fermenting a the time of years perfect for that now being spring with lotsa pollen floating around or maybe its a yeast from one of your other ferments.
If it was me I would just put it in the fermenters and go with the flow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
as regards the ally i wouldnt use it at all for any form of cooking or food preparation. but thats just the opinion of a old hippy without any provable science behind it.
I see you are still looking for a 100l s/s boiler have you considered a old automobile stainless steel LPG tank? (try a car wreckers)
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

so i wander out this afternoon to complete said mission, to find a loverly puke smelling white cap sitting at 45 degreaa allready dopped .10,

my questions:

has the backset provided viable yeast ? or is this some sort of wild infextion ?

Sounds like Lactic Souring to me, add your yeast,let it ferment and run it.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Freemasha » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks for the replys gents, all looks well with the ferment, has been fine.

Now i just need to get a hydro as it appears a refractometer doesnt work with TPW's.

Yea re the lpg tank, cant lie and say im somewhat paranoid about the idea !! Anyone ever reported any issues with them ?
Freemasha

equipment: LOOKING FOR 100LT STAINLESS BOILER

Postby PeteBignell » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Freemasha wrote:hello distilling friends !
i recently threw down a batch of 20kgs cracked corn and 12kgs sugar (100lt batch) ment for a vodka base,

I hope you are still following this thread Freemasha.
Did you use only cracked corn and sugar? Did you use any malt or enzymes?
If not, the corn will not contribute anything to production of ethanol, and since you are producing a vodka, the corn will not produce any significant taste.

Unmalted corn plus sugar is an old US moonshiners recipe for "sugar shine". If pot distilled with no reflux the corn MIGHT give a little flavour.
One recipe I saw said to throw in a can of cooked ground corn -- unopened :laughing-rolling:
PeteBignell

equipment: 600 litre copper pot, fired with biodiesel
Grow and malt my own rye

Postby crow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:00 am

The grain in these recipes is always purely for flavour and to some degree neutrient, as the ethanol is produced by the sugar, even any added malt is there to produce a malt flavour not to produce maltose. With out the process of a stepped and rested sacrificial mash any conversion will be negligible to say the least(there is a no cook enzyme product around called Stargen but that's a whole different story) . +1 on this recipe or any like it being a waste of time for vodka
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby PeteBignell » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:17 am

OK, "malt" is a bit ambiguous, I meant malted grain to supply enzymes to convert the starch in the corn to fermentable sugars and so increase the yield of alcohol
PeteBignell

equipment: 600 litre copper pot, fired with biodiesel
Grow and malt my own rye

Return to The Mash tun