Bourbon mash

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Bourbon mash

Postby crow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:44 am

My single malt oat whiskey is seriously in the Irish style vain with that smoothness that only Irish whiskey has but it is not a clone or even close copy of any thing nor was it suppose to be. It tastes pretty much as it was intended to. My oat sour mash (piggyback mash) tastes like a sour mash but using just oats for this I feel is a bit of an error as the oat flavor is just to light for this style. I was going to change the grain bill a little for this sugar head one and am also considering doing a few bourbon mashes. Although I am very happy with my oat whiskey most of my friends are bourbon drinkers so I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a bit on hand . @ WineGlass I didn't know we had a local malthouse , do you want to contact them and see if we can buy direct :D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:52 pm

They used to sell bits and pieces, but the are now owned by allied mills, and they only want to sell tonnes at a time.
I know a bloke that knows a bloke that worked there. I could try him...
emptyglass

Postby crow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Yeah I know how that goes but see how you get on. I built a holliday house for one of the big wigs of Coopers yrs ago and have sort of lost touch but if I was moving back here reckon I'd try to look him up (got to taste canned coopers before any public did, still got some of the pre released original Dr Tims cans here :handgestures-thumbupleft: )
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:30 pm

baldoss wrote: ....have you had any attempts or successes at making Irish-style whiskey MM? I speak for myself but I reckon there'd be a lot of people on here who would love to give a good Irish a whirl. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have, It's normally something I do when corn gets too high, or I can't find the quantities I need. I'll post it up in the recipes section here shortly......it sure as hell ain't no Tullamoore Dew though hahahah
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby emptyglass » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi MtnMoonshiner, I dont really want to mess with malting my own right now, I'd prefer to use malted grains to get going. I want to get a handle on how to cook it up, rest periods, etc.

I'd like to try an all corn whiskey, but others say its a bit touch and go for beginners. I'll give your recipie a bit more thought, it looks good
emptyglass

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:56 am

WineGlass wrote:Hi MtnMoonshiner, I dont really want to mess with malting my own right now, I'd prefer to use malted grains to get going. I want to get a handle on how to cook it up, rest periods, etc.

I'd like to try an all corn whiskey, but others say its a bit touch and go for beginners. I'll give your recipie a bit more thought, it looks good

Got a recipe for all corn too if you want. I personally think it's an easier one to start with, but I reckon experiences my vary.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Previous

Return to The Mash tun