Malted wheat

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Malted wheat

Postby bear74 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:11 pm

I have attempted to malt a small batch of wheat to try an all grain corn/wheat whiskey. this is a picture of the grain, some has 2" sprouts and all has 1/2 inch plus roots. would that be malted or do you need the leaf stage for malted?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Re: Malted wheat

Postby blond.chap » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:12 pm

From what I've heard, it's enough when the sprouts are the same length as the grain, much more and it will have used up some good starches.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Malted wheat

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Leaf stage means its starting to use those sugars for growing so you want to use it before then.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby bear74 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:29 pm

cheers, will process it tonight and grind it down 3 to 1 corn to malted wheat then let the ensymes work their magic :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bear74

50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby Linny » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Keep updating please ... are you going to take Specific Gravities .... im very interested in this , how small of a batch size are you aiming for ??? some peoples idea of small is my massive lol :teasing-tease:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby SBB » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:43 pm

SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bear74 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:51 pm

after maltin was complete I sun dried for 2 days on my kids trampoline then oven cured at 100 deg/c. not sure if the ensymes will still be able to modify other starches in un malted grain but the process was so simple I think I will malt all grain to used from now on. the smell and flavour from the malted grain is obviously where a lot of the spirit flavour will come from as it has distinctly different smell and taste after malting :handgestures-thumbupleft: will keep you posted but it may be a while due to moving house and job change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bear74

50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby bear74 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:54 pm

i will get 20 kg of corn and another 10kg wheat malting soon to keep this all grain wash going
bear74

50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby crow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 am

Keep in mind the diastatic power of maize is quite low. It has enough power to convert it self but no adjucts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Brendan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am

This is very interesting, but where I buy grain from, raw wheat costs the same as a bag of malted wheat...go figure? :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby bear74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:03 pm

well it's bubbling away nicely now with some rehidrated lowans yeast added. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bear74

50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby bt1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:46 am

Howdy,

Be keen to hear as much detail as you've got on the wheat...been a fan but have not had a crack as yet.

seems reasonable we should be stronger in Aussie for wheat brews given the supply we have.

Here's a couple of treasured links for bit of inspiration.

http://www.montanawhiskey.com/whiskey/products/spring-wheat-whiskey

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bernheim-original-kentucky-straight-wheat-whiskey/

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MtnMoonshiner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:22 am

My technique for malting corn, and barley are the same. Depending on how much I want to malt, I'll use either a paper grocery bag with a hand towel in the bottom, or a burlap sack or old pillow case, laid across a piece of plywood. Pour your corn or barley into the paper bag, about 4 or 5 inches deep, or fill the sack/pillow case. Every day, and only once a day, pour enough warm water over the corn/grain inside the bag, or over the burlap sack to keep the corn/grain damp, but not soaked.

I normally find that 1 drinking cup of water is enough for the bag, while 2 or 3 might be needed for the burlap sack. You'll have to feel the stuff and find out for yourself, as your drinking cups probably aren't the same size as mine.

I always malt the stuff inside, so I'm never worried about the temperature. But outside in the shade, or in a tool shed or something would be good too. The key thing is, you don't want it drying out instantly, and you don't want some animal or bird running off with it. After about a week, most of the grain or corn will have started to sprout. Some of the sprouts will be longer, others shorter. It don't matter much

As long as mostly all of the corn or grain has started to sprout, you can consider that entire batch malted for the purposes intended on this forum. I make A LOT of liquor, and this technique has never failed me.

Most of the time, I don't dry it out. This is simply because I malt a batch of whatever I need, for a specific mash I'm intending to make. Since I know it takes a week-ish to malt, I plan accordingly, and normally start the mash the day the malt is done. I've got a good quality professional blender, that I'll chop the malted corn or grain up a few hand fulls at a time. It doesn't have to be the consistency of meal, just mostly blended up to about the size of cracked corn. However, I've found that if I do want or need to dry it; I can thinly spread the malted grain on a piece of cardboard box, and lay it in a garage or somewhere where it's dry, but the birds won't get at it. It'll fully dry out in about 3 or 4 days. Then you can save it in a separate sack whole, or grind it up and save it that way. I prefer grinding it up.
MtnMoonshiner

equipment: 50 gallon (roughly 190L) copper pot still, with a 10 gallon (roughly 38L) thump keg, as well as a 20 gallon still with 5 gallon(roughly 19L) thump keg for small specialized runs, and experimentation.

Postby crow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:57 am

Here's a link to my malting process , as others have said it really is a simple process and sort of fun :handgestures-
thumbupleft:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1562&hilit=malt
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Malted barley

Postby halfbaked » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm

This guy knows how to malt barley. I would change that 5 gal bucket to a 55 gal drum. It looks pretty much fool proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2HqcQR6PQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfKyvR6O0g8
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

Postby bear74 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:26 am

busy movin house so been no time to post! did 1 wash with the malted wheat and ran it through the pot! after a month of ageing 2l@70% on charred oak it came out great! would have liked to age longer but needed to taste test to see if it was up to standard and it was! a mate of mine runs a cattle station up here so he has genourously donated wheat and corn from his 500ton stockfeed silos wheat, barley and corn for me to make my whiskey! he loved my whiskey so much he is demanding i stop killing so many of his ferals to make more whiskey and rum using his power and water so i guess i have to now!
bear74

50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 am

If sun drying not good if it rains for a week and the weather is cold .
wynnum1

Return to The Mash tun