working with grains

all about mashing and fermenting grains

working with grains

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:11 am

Well I did type this out in Tradition Appalachian (u.s.) sweet mash whiskey thread
but it took me along time to type it up and so when I hit the post button it asked me to log back in what
a fuck about not happy because this meens I got to type it all out again. This time I aint fucking around with
spell checkers so you all just got to deal with the spelling. :angry-banghead:
When I hit the post button the first time I thought this might be a thread hikack so Im gona make a new one.

So yesterday I ask 2 questions about the igredence that went in to mtn recipe for whiskey. The reson for asking them
is because of how much they cost where I live. I realy dont want to spend a good chunck of cash on something that I might
fuck up or might not like the tast of sorry to say mtn. But not only that the biggest thing that I like about doing what
we do is making booze from raw ingredence. That for me meens cutting out as many middle men as I can. This also can
save us some big bucks.

On with my first question form yesterday.

Q1. The barley that is used is that the beer making type or is it the type
that is used for stock feed it would make sence if it was the beer type
but I am hoping it might be the other because of the cost of the beer
type.

My anser I found on the net. :-B

Barley is a basic cereal grain not particularly good for milling into flour
and making bread or bakery goods. But it is great for beer. There are three
major types of barley. These are differentiated by the number of seeds at
the top of the stalk. Barley seeds grow in two, four and six rows along the
central stem. European brewers traditionally prefer the two-row barley
because it malts best and has a higher starch/husk ratio than four or
six-row barley. Brewers in the US traditionally prefer six-row barley
because it is more economical to grow and has a higher concentration of
enzymes needed to convert the starch in the grain into sugar and other
fermentables.

I have all ready spoke to my guy at the feed shop about what grains he can get in for me and barley is on the list. So
all I need to conferm now is what type he can get but from what I understand you can use any type if you dont have a
choice.

Ok my secon question.

Q2. rye meal. I have done a google serch and I get few diffrent things
that come up from it. I think I need to pick up whole grain rye flour.
It contains all of the bran, germ and endosperm of the original rye
kernel.

My anser.

This was alot more simpler then I thought it was. I think I must have been over thinking this one. All I got to do eh is
make another trip to the feed shop pick up some rye seed put in blender and BAM rye meal. Just dont over blend.

I realy cant see the cost for these grains being all that high. over 1 clam and probly under 2 per kg.
(yes I just finished seson 2 of boardwalk empire)
Barley malt will probly take some work to make but it is a hobby after all its part of the process of making my own booze
that I want to try at least once.

Finaly I do need some help from one lucky ready. What I need is some pic's of rye meal. I want to see how blened it is.
Short of going and buying some and that I dont want to do so please someone just a few minets of your time please thanks.

Well thats about all thats to it atm I will keep you all posted and get some pics up to show what I am doing and how Im doing it.
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Re: working with grains

Postby bt1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 am

drunk,

see original recipe post...

In reverse then I took malted rye and had Amanda at beer belly grind it twice. It's not flour by any means. I'll picie tonight.
Malting like EG said time and kit and I got neither so used a pre malted grain.

Rye malt about $4.80/kg
Barley malt about the same...but I choose to use a specific light malt so I wear the cost I guess.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 pm

The barley you get from the stock feed joint is just normal old barley.

What you want is malted barley. You can either do it yourself or buy it. This is why it costs more to buy malted. And this is what you need to make beer.

There are a few threads on here on how to malt your own grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:

don't know fuck all about rye meal
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Brendan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 pm

bt1 wrote:Rye malt about $4.80/kg
Barley malt about the same...but I choose to use a specific light malt so I wear the cost I guess.

bt1

$4.80/kg! :o

Any decent place should sell all your barley malts for about $50 for 25kg. So about $2 per kg. Peated malt is about $4.80/kg here but only use a couple kilo of it as an additive.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby bt1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 am

$65 - $80 a 25kg bag depending on what you want...next is a caramalt deep dark and luscious

that's the key I guess...can buy cheaper but its only about taste these days

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:55 pm

This shits me just spent 20 od minets typing and my net timed out and now I got to start over again :angry-banghead:

So I went got my self a bag of barly for $18 from the feed store prity cheap I thought. Got home opend it up and found it was fall of weevils.
IMAG0267.jpg

So I took 2kg's out for a barly malt experiment and took the rest back to the shop for a refund. Had a chat to the guy at the store about the weeviles. He recon its prity hard to get feed grade barley with out extra meat. But still I asked him to order me in a fresh bag and he was happy to do that. I also had a chat with few of my farming mates who agreed that barley can be a prick to keep weevils out and that it's not good to store long term.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Distillnation » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:06 pm

DrunkASAskunk wrote:Had a chat to the guy at the store about the weeviles. He recon its prity hard to get feed grade barley with out extra meat. But still I asked him to order me in a fresh bag and he was happy to do that. I also had a chat with few of my farming mates who agreed that barley can be a prick to keep weevils out and that it's not good to store long term.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing on a few other forums. Same applies to cracked corn, etc.

The places that manufacture and package the grains do it bulk, and the eggs can get into the bags which is why you can get them even in bags that are "fresh". It's just part of the territory when getting them from feed stores. When you dump the grain into water, they will float to the top and you can just skim them off. You will probably have to do this a couple times, stirring the grain in between to make sure you have gotten them all, but if you are using hot/boiling water, they won't pose any sort of threat to your wash. (just don't tell anyone your whiskey was made with bugs :laughing-rolling:)
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 pm

moving on from the weevils I did not let that stop me I dont mined abit of extra meat. I took that 2kg of seed and soked for 2 hours in warm water. Got my incubator that i made the other year ready set it to 24deg and added some water to up the humidity for best growing conditions.
IMAG0272.jpg

I placed the barley in and left it for 24 hours. When I reterned to it the roots where just starting to show so it was a quick soke in water and back in for another 12 hours.
On retern the roots where now almost as long as the seed so I removed them for drying.
IMAG0271.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby 1 2many » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:27 pm

I worked in a mass producing pizza company and we had 2 x 2 1/2 tone bread flour hoppers and the weeviles love the stuff
I could pull out the nests that where sort of in a web and hundreds of them in there. looks ferule but no biggie extra
protein . :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Now the drying was some what done I took my malt and placed in the oven and gave it the heat. After about 45 minets I took it out and started to run it through the blender. I found it still had alot of juice in the seed so after a quick blend it was back in the oven for some more cooking. I think all up I had it in the oven for about hour and half. Back out and in to the blender.
IMAG0276.jpg

The end result was nice and blended and nice and dry. I took abit longer to get the proces done then I thought it would but I recon I can make a few changes to the process to speed it up.

The next step is to see how weet gose with the malting proscess
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
DrunkASAskunk

Return to The Mash tun