Grain storage and weevils

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Grain storage and weevils

Postby crow » Tue May 07, 2013 10:08 am

Yeah I think its all in bags at this stage reckon he might have to invest in some bins
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby karrotbear » Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 am

I have to agree with the bayleaves thing.

I used to have a big problem with bugs and shit getting into my rice/pasta etc etc, stuck a bayleaf on the top of the inside of the container and havent had a problem since!
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby 1 2many » Tue May 07, 2013 4:29 pm

karrotbear wrote:I have to agree with the bayleaves thing.

I used to have a big problem with bugs and shit getting into my rice/pasta etc etc, stuck a bayleaf on the top of the inside of the container and havent had a problem since!

Wow Natural remidies i will try this out in some bird seed sounds good ,dont know if the bird will like it though. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Grain storage and weevils

Postby wedwards » Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm

This doesn't help now, but I store my grains in either fermenters that don't have airlock or tap holes in them (60 litre fermenter holds a good part of a 25kg bag of grain) and I've recently started using 17-20 litre cubes for storing smaller grain amounts (5-10kg).

These containers keep things airtight and have so far kept nasty bugs out. Also keeps the damn mice away too, which I had a problem with at one point a long time ago.

If you want storage on the cheap, cubes are definately a cheap way to go and give you a nice small mouth for pouring.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby karrotbear » Sat May 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I think, in terms of the bayleaf, it only keeps out bugs that want to get in, if it already has bugs, you're fucked.... Well I'm fucked :P
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Previous

Return to The Mash tun