Pilsener malt to make???

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Pilsener malt to make???

Postby blond.chap » Wed May 08, 2013 12:18 pm

You're a crack up Kravin, watching AG brewers squirm over fermentations for distilling is great fun.

The hot and cold breaks are a good argument for boiling the wort, I think the reason most distillers don't is that we're a lazy bunch (when it comes to wash preparation) and the commercial whisky distillers don't bother (so we figure it's ok). Boiling the wash in the still after about a week will kill off all bacterial infections, and bacteria can't survive in 40+% ethanol.

As far as yeast strain aggression, most of us use bakers yeast for basic washes (I'm waiting to hear your head explode), or something like S04 if we feel like getting fancy. Wild yeast takes ages to take off, so even smallish quantities of a pure strain will prevent the wild stuff from getting a foothold.

Fermenting on the grain depends on the style of whisk(e)y, some places do, others lauter. Some distilleries even distil on the grain, but you either need an agitator or an indirect method of heating to prevent scorching the grain.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Sam. » Wed May 08, 2013 8:26 pm

@ Kravin, nah my mash didn't look anything like that :sad: i was too worried that I was going to make a keg full of dough :laughing-rolling:

As for the grain in the fermenter hoping for some more flavour and a little extra sugar :handgestures-thumbupleft: Not real sure if either is founded
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Sam. » Tue May 21, 2013 9:54 pm

So got to run the sugar head one of these on Sunday arvo through the FSD Bubbler :dance:

The run went as perfectly as I could have hoped, ended up with approx 4.5L @ roughly 85 - 90% in total.

After a couple days airing it is smelling pretty good, am very impressed as to how wide the hearts cut smells, hopefully it is the same when I do the taste tests :pray:

Fair yield out of this one as I added the sugar, the next one will be a lot less at it was the all grain that had the shit conversion :handgestures-thumbdown: hoping for some more flavour out of that one though. Hope to run it this coming Sunday :happy-partydance:

Anyway, will put some on oak after doing the cuts and see what happens :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Previous

Return to The Mash tun