Help Wanted

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Help Wanted

Postby Cane Toad » Sat May 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Ok,over the last month or so,there have been quite a few write-ups involving AG,be it mashing or using mould of all things :wtf:
This has really whet my appetite,I think now that I have a reasonable supply of UJ :D :D I can feel a bit of a deviation in the direction I was taking in my Distilling journey,now this isn't a bad thing,I'm quite excited by it as a matter of fact.
Now I really am an AG virgin,what I need to know is,is there a book,either a real one or an e-book,that can explain this new journey to me.The likes of how many kg's of unmalted grain can be converted by 1 kg of malted grain etc,shit like that.
Thanks in advance :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Re: Help Wanted

Postby Brendan » Sat May 11, 2013 7:55 pm

Here ya go mate, this is by far the best thing around and really helps to understand everything involved. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

John Palmer's How To Brew

It's an online book, so you'll either spend hours on the comp reading or print it out :D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby 1 2many » Sat May 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Gummy you might have missed this one.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3572&p=59931#p59931
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Cane Toad » Sat May 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks fellas,just downloaded How To Brew to the kindle.Can see a few late nights reading :handgestures-thumbupleft: Really looking forward to this :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby emptyglass » Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 pm

I can't help you much.
But after loosing my AG virginity not long ago, I reckon its worth the effort.
I wish I had more reading time. Ammasing all the crap needed took me a while, since I wasn't really sure if it was worth it. I didnt want to do little ferments, so I needed something simple, considering I'm a dumbass in this area, I didnt want it to cost me in the form of stuffed up ferments.

As a fellow UJ drinker, I say go for it!
I reckon you'd have enough stock to get an army pissed by now :laughing-rolling:
emptyglass

Postby Cane Toad » Sat May 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Only a small army tho :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby baldoss » Tue May 14, 2013 11:02 am

Keen to see how you go mate, keep us posted... I'm starting the reading effort of learning about the all-grain mash because my long term goal is to produce a nice Irish whiskey but am still right in the beginning phases of learning to run my rig so it'll be TPWs for a bit, then some molasses washes... hopefully by then I will know enough about AG to figure out my method and a couple different grain bills.
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 14, 2013 12:02 pm

I honestly don't think it's gunna be too hard,just gotta get my head around the whole 'waste' thing.That and finding a bigger boiler to do the whole mash thing in :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Cane Toad

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Looks like I may have scored a hand driven sugar cane crushing machine on the weekend,just gotta wait and find out if the old mates son is gunna let it go,if he does,I should be able to put grain through it as well as the rollers almost close the whole way up :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Will definitely be adding an electric motor and hopper to it to bring it into the 21st century,and with a bit of fucking around,should be able to modify it so as to put fruit through it as well :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Tue May 14, 2013 12:20 pm

does it look like mine ?

IMG_0240.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to The Mash tun