Mashing in Boiler

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Mashing in Boiler

Postby codieb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:43 am

Ok, so I am finally about to make the jump and give an all grain a go. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: I am planning on making up a bag and doing a BIAB I have a big ass pot but the stove doesn't have the balls to heat the volume of water :angry-banghead: So instead of buying a gas element and bottle I was wondering if anyone has tried using their boiler as a mash pot? I have a 25L boiler with a element controller so can turn the heat right down. And as long as I keep the bag off the element I don't see why it won' work?

Thoughts, comments? :text-thankyoublue:
codieb

equipment: Pot Still and Copper T500 with extension column

Re: Mashing in Boiler

Postby blond.chap » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:00 am

Hi mate, I've done it with a 25L pure distilling boiler. As you said, just make sure you keep the bag off the element, and stir regularly to keep temperature consistent across the liquid height.

Also, it's worth getting some insulating material (foam, bed sheet or even flannelette) to wrap the boiler in.

You'd be best off getting the water to about 70degC (the grain should drop the temperature to below 65), adding grain, heating until the right temp. The switching the element on as needed to maintain.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Return to The Mash tun