Can enzymes degenerate over time

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Can enzymes degenerate over time

Postby crow » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Far canal I am having the devils own time with this bloody mash . I iodine tested it and all it would be good for is making purple die , there is some sweetness but nothing like there should be. The whole mash is starting to look like a major cluster fuck and I can't work out why . I re did the last rest and got a slight improvement but am starting to wonder if there is a time limit on using gristed malt . The malt was milled maybe summer last yr so 10 months ago and was kept it a plastic bin
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Can enzymes degenerate over time

Postby Linny » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Beer brewers at my work say about 1-2 months after its been gristed . that's why they buy bulk grain then grist it when they need it. Last a lot longer
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby crow » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Damn well I can't put more malt in or I'll need two fementers hmm might have to use Poxy liquid malt. Fuck me well buggers my single malt up then :angry-banghead:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Linny » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Pretty all the flavour will be there , its just the sugar side of things
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby crow » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:26 pm

yes I could just add extra sugar but I know it won't quite taste the same, I know because if tried that before, just bloody nuisance. I could ferment it as is but I can't see me getting over a 3% wash and that will shit me. A refractometer would be handy now :roll:
crow

Return to The Mash tun