Mac's Mega Mash Monsta

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Mac's Mega Mash Monsta

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 am

Here's a project I'm working on for myself to use as a mash tunn, I'm finally ready to take a leap and try my hand at all grain brewing for bourbons and whiskies. x_x

The mash tunn is based on a 300L esky using Hilly's HERMS heat exchanger with a 1/2 copper tube false bottom & march pump.

I'll explain the build in a bit more detail as I go, but here's a few pics to show how it's shaping up.

The esky

20130904_155231.jpg

The false bottom ready to solder together.

20130915_154134.jpg

False bottom & dribble bar to return mash to the tunn after heat exchanger.

20130915_174202.jpg

Here's where the pump is mounted, and the 3 way valve.. the valve will direct the mash either to the dribble bar, or once the mash is done into buckets for transfer to the fermenter.

20130915_174123.jpg

If any of you all grain guys see a drama sing out, nothing is soldered as of yet and mods can be made at this stage... just remember though this is not a beer system and will only be used for making mash to distill.

I'll be building a frame to hold the heat exchanger independent of the tunn, and am going to use camlock fittings to hook it up for ease of set up and cleaning.

My aim is to mash enough in one go to fill a 100L fermenter, for a 100L boiler charge :D

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MacStill on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited typo
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Mac's Mega Mash Monsta

Postby the Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:17 am

That looks amazing mate...well done.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:25 am

Keep the Pics coming Mac, I'm in the process of scrounging the parts to build one too so I'm very interested to watch this build :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby the Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 am

Kimbo I just started the video of the single malt method using passive conversion in esky's. Mate this method is the bees knees for whiskey.
Doc
P.S. more photos please especially some close ups...I love the way this is constructed, simple and effective. Cheers.
Last edited by the Doctor on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
the Doctor

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 am

the Doctor wrote:Kimbo I just started the video of the single malt method using passive conversion in esky's. Mate this method is the bees knees for whiskey.
Doc

:clap: :clap: Brilliant, I can't wait to see it Doc :happy-partydance:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby the Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 am

I really think Macs nailed it here...I was thinking a false bottom but the pipe has plenty of area for draining, why make the build harder.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:51 am

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I was just chatting with Hill because I was concerned about Corn clogging the system, He didn't really have any issue with that.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Smbjk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Kimbo wrote:Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I was just chatting with Hill because I was concerned about Corn clogging the system, He didn't really have any issue with that.

Looks great mac. As the grain bed settles with circulation it will compact and become a natural filter. One thing you have to be carefull of is your dribble bar. Most all grainers have a dirbble bar ( sparge arm ) over the top of the grain bed and usually it spins around to allow a more even distribulion of liquid so the sugar conversion from the grains is maximized. Liquid will usually find the path of least resistance and if it is concentrated at one end you may not get a efficient conversion of starch to sugar.

http://www.howtobrew.com is a great read. Section 3 will give you a great insight to mash conversion

Wish my mash tun was that big I only have a 40lt :mrgreen:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Bushy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Looks like great setup there Mac. I will be following yr allgrain adventures with interest. Look forward to seeing the grain bills you can put through that. I would have thought corn would be too goopy to sparge.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:09 pm

I've been told to use plenty of rice husks bushy, plus if I do use corn it wont be 100% of the grain bill ;-)

Guess I wont know till I try it, worst case will mean fermenting the mash on the grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Bit of an update:

I've decided to change the sparge arm to a larger diameter 3/4" pipe & will be putting a few small holes in it to figure out a spray pattern, once I've tested it with water I'll drill more holes or cut slots to direct the spray enough to cover the grain bed.

Also built a stand for the heat exchanger, and plumbed in the whole tunn... just a matter of a few fittings and some thread tape now and I think it's ready for testing.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

:happy-partydance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Looking nice mate, I can't wait to get a start on mine.
How long are your elements mate?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Kimbo wrote:Looking nice mate, I can't wait to get a start on mine.

Elements are 250mm long, but allow a bit more for evaporation :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:01 pm

That will be a nice mash tun Mac , can i suggest you don't solder both ends there is no need and will help when you need to pull it down to clean. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Kimbo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:09 pm

MacStill wrote:
Kimbo wrote:Looking nice mate, I can't wait to get a start on mine.

Elements are 250mm long, but allow a bit more for evaporation :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many wrote:That will be a nice mash tun Mac , can i suggest you don't solder both ends there is no need and will help when you need to pull it down to clean. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah that's not a bad idea ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Smbjk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Hey mac. Loking good buddy :handgestures-thumbupleft: I know you probably already know but make sure your slots on your
false bottom are facing towards the bottom of the esky. This will enable your grain bed to settle and create a great filter. Rice husks will help as you are going to produce a high sugar conversion but they are not totally necessary if you start it slow so you dont compact the grain bed to fast. The last thing you want is a stuck sparge :angry-banghead: . Looks awesome though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:24 pm

yeah false bottom has about 200 x 1.5 mm holes on the underside, I think that part should work quite well, also has a valve between it and the pump to slow things down if needed.

Also the mash tunn is built so it can be pulled apart occasionally for cleaning, but most times I reckon I'll just pump citric acid and water through it once I'm done mashing.

Cant wait to try it out, nearly as exciting as my first bubbler build :dance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Smbjk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:29 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: mate you got it sorted just make your dough in paddle from a nice piece of wood burn a fsd logo in it and you could sell them aswell :laughing-rolling: I'd buy one at least to keep the kids in line :laughing-rolling:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Kimbo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:39 pm

MacStill wrote: also has a valve between it and the pump to slow things down if needed.

I was thinking about this too, I managed to score a free swimming pool pump which I was thinking of wiring it to a fan speed controller.
That way I could control the flow.
What do you guys think? Ya recon it'll work?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Got my final few pieces today and ordered my grain, got a sack of medium peated barley and a sack of golden promise on the way :dance: :happy-partydance: :dance:

So this arvo while I'm having a beer or three I'll be running water through it to get the sparge arm spraying nicely, then give it a good clean out ready for my first mash in a week or so :D

Pics a little later, gotta go back out to the shed..... fuck mowing lawns today :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to The Mash tun