All Grain Bourbon

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: All Grain Bourbon

Postby spoonjab » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Have done some initial sampling awhile ago and it has a different flavour to the 4 plates version. It's been sitting around in the demi for awhile and will have to go sample it again to see how it's going. Good flavour from what I can remember.
Currently finishing off some 5yr old scotch. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
spoonjab

equipment: 2' pot
4' 8plate modular bubbler
Carter head

Postby Retlaw02 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:21 pm

I use maze flakes the first batch (30lt) didn’t gelatinise like I thought it would so I now put it through my mill, I do the one step method heat the water to 90c tip it into my fermenter add the maze while stirring with a paint mixer on a drill, (it’s usually around 80c by the time I get all the grain in) wrap it all up for an hour or so and it looks right to me great porridge consistency, after that I mix in the milled malted barley and rye wrap it up again and leave it overnight, unwrap it and pitch the yeast when the temperature is low enough. I’m not very technical and don’t measure anything except grain and water,
Last edited by Retlaw02 on Tue May 21, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retlaw02

equipment: 25lt pot still electric heating

Postby bayshine » Wed May 22, 2019 2:06 pm

One critical measurement you should be taking is the temperature that you add your malt, to hot and it will denature the enzymes and not covert starches to fermentable sugars, resulting in a low yield :-B
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby eskystevens » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:06 pm

thanks for the run down. how much where you able to distill out of that?
eskystevens

equipment: pot still

Postby pat_00 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:01 pm

I'm trying this recipe now, doing an 80l batch in my 120l pot.

Unfortunately my grain mill carked it half way through the corn. Drill chuck snapped off! Corn is a bit rougher than barley. So I'm not sure what efficiency to expect. I boiled for a bit longer and ran the paint stirrer to mulch it all up. I'll keep records and update with my yield.
pat_00

equipment: DIY 2" modular CCVM/Boka/Pot

Postby pat_00 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:32 pm

So I used 13.4KG cracked corn, 4.4kg of Pilsner malt, 2kg of malted wheat. Ended up around 1.060. Took me a while to get down to pitching temp, pitched 3 packs of US05.

Checked the gravity after 4 days of fermenting and it's 1.058 :think: And it has a slight pukey Butyric Acid smell. Maybe my yeast was a too old? It seems to have been happily bubbling away though. I'm new to fermenting on grain, and had to strain the solids out of the sample I took. Would the suspended solids in the sample affect the hydrometer reading?

For insurance I pitched some more yeast, this time nottingham. Finger crossed.
pat_00

Postby dans.brew » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:04 pm

pat_00 wrote:I'm new to fermenting on grain, and had to strain the solids out of the sample I took. Would the suspended solids in the sample affect the hydrometer reading?

Idealy you want a clean sample of wash to get an accutate reading.
I've started using a round sieve, just push it into the grain bed which holds the grain at bay and scoop a little sample of wash out with a lttle jug. Then filter it with some cloth or coffee filter if needed.
Once AG is fermented the grain finds its way to the bottom so you can usually get a cleaner sample. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby pat_00 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I tried another sample today and got 1.058 again. :(

I tested with a PH meter I have (but don't really trust as it's a mate's old cheapo one and hasn't been calibrated) and it gave me 4.0. If this number is correct, could this be a problem for the yeast?

Pushed past the butric smell and tasted the sample, which was both sweet and sour.
pat_00

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Buytric and stalled washs says possible brett infection to me. I had these issues with sugarhead(all on the grain) lots butryic lots bubblegum flavours but persistant stalled washs..in the end gravity didnt change fall at all. Dissasembled sanatised no issue since..
Last edited by bluc on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby pat_00 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:46 am

So what I did late Saturday night was put an extra heat belt on it (now it's holding steady at 22C) and added some Calcium Carbonate to increase the PH. Seems to have worked, it's bubbling like crazy now. Still a bit pukey smelling, but I think I'll persist and try some ester-fication tricks I read about on another forum. Namely an addition of acid to the low wines and extended heating up period on the spirit run.

Might not end up with a good Bourbon, but maybe something useful for blending with in the future.
pat_00

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:00 am

Anyone in Brisbane saw this on face book October special BAIRD'S DISTILLERS.................. 5kg $15 | 25kg $45
Hoppy Days
wynnum1

Postby pat_00 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:13 am

pat_00 wrote:So what I did late Saturday night was put an extra heat belt on it (now it's holding steady at 22C) and added some Calcium Carbonate to increase the PH. Seems to have worked, it's bubbling like crazy now. Still a bit pukey smelling, but I think I'll persist and try some ester-fication tricks I read about on another forum. Namely an addition of acid to the low wines and extended heating up period on the spirit run.

Might not end up with a good Bourbon, but maybe something useful for blending with in the future.

Yeah nah, tipped it. Chooks seem to like it. Emptying out my 120l fermenter one scoop at a time of puke smelling sludge is not something I want to repeat.

The PH just kept dropping, couldn't keep it in range for the yeasties.
pat_00

Previous

Return to The Mash tun