Single Malt recipie

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Single Malt recipie

Postby zombie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:59 am

Hi, I am new to the forum, and thank you for having me.
I only have one recipe to offer, and most of you may know it well. So I will describe my method...

I use 6 row Barley seed stock. 1 1/2lbs per gallon of water. Seed stock in my area has a water soluble fungicide that must be pre-rinsed so it is straight from the bags, and onto a stainless screen frame for a good wash down.
After rinsing it goes into burlap sacks, and into a 55 gallon drum of softened/De-chlorinated water to soak for two days.

I have a rack box that serves as a germination box/drier smoker. To germinate I seal the box up with the racks about an inch deep in barley. A few pans of water helps in the summer months here. 6-10 days, and it is all germinating.

Next is to fluff it all out in a spinning drum filled with a few hundred nails poked into the inside. I use an old wine barrel that is mounted on rollers from a couple skateboards, and one of those football thrower electric motors with a 10" tire to spin it. This process breaks off all the hulls, and a shop fan blows them out the end. (both ends of the barrel are open)

Back on the racks for one week of drying. This time with the vents open, and an Ebay electric smoker in the box. I use peat moss from the local walmart but anything that smokes will work.

Just a simple electric grinder to get a "corn meal" consistency, and you are ready to mash.

(I should have stated the barrel is where I introduce the yeast. Once a year (or so) I soak the barrel in a yeast/cane juice solution for a couple days.)

When ready to mash I boil the pot (raw water) for an hour to disinfect it. When the temp drops to 140* I will add cane juice (if needed) @ 1/12 gallon juice to 3 gallons water. This just steps up the yield, and helps kick the ferment in colder months.

At 120* add the malt, stir a few minuets, and seal. About 7-10 days to work off, and another week to clear.

It's all cooked in a pot/thumper that I run once about every three months. In the past year I have added a recirculating Leibig to save on water (have to pay for that now) and couldn't be happier

I get a pretty consistent 12-15% yield from the mash at 120-140 proof, and cut to 100 proof for drinking.
I have tried to age some but it never lasts around my family so we just enjoy.

This looks like alot of effort compared to some of the recipes I see on the forums but the result stands alone.
Hope someone tries it verbatim, and agrees there are no short cuts to the best liquor. ^:)^
zombie

Return to The Mash tun