infected wash photo thread

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Post your grossest wash infection photos here this little pukefest is growing on my malted rye wash.
Last edited by Kimbo on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Pic
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Re: infected wash photo thread

Postby bayshine » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Bourbon wash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Sam. » Wed May 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Ginger beer that had been in the fermenting fridge for 7 weeks :scared-eek:

Tasted fine out the tap but the top was rank, couldn't bring myself to keg it, went on the lawn :crying-blue:

And no I couldn't be bothered wasting my time and energy on 20L of ginger beer at 5% to run through the still :teasing-neener:

Any ideas what type if infection? :think: It was bubbling as well :wtf:

IMG_1685.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bayshine » Wed May 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Yikes!!!
Looks like that old movie ... Attack of the blob!
bayshine

Postby sp0rk » Wed May 21, 2014 8:54 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Ginger beer that had been in the fermenting fridge for 7 weeks :scared-eek:

Tasted fine out the tap but the top was rank, couldn't bring myself to keg it, went on the lawn :crying-blue:

And no I couldn't be bothered wasting my time and energy on 20L of ginger beer at 5% to run through the still :teasing-neener:

Any ideas what type if infection? :think: It was bubbling as well :wtf:

IMG_1685.JPG

I'd say either brett or lacto infection
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby APR » Wed May 21, 2014 9:11 pm

kiwikeg wrote:P... this little pukefest is growing on my malted rye wash.

Hi kiwikeg, I have a product called Solfotannico which comes in tablet form. One use of this product is to sterilise grapes to rid them of fungus and bacteria.

From http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWebPage=13240&idDetails=111
USE TABLETS IN THE CRUSHED GRAPES
Grapes are covered in germs (bacteria & fungus) that can spoil the taste of your wine. Grape sterilizer kills the germs so your juice is very clean. Solfotannico tablets are a very good grape sterilizer. Tablets do not spoil the taste of your wine or make you sick.

I was given these tablets by a fellow I know who was using them in his wash when making spirits. I have not used them however, the fellow I got them from stated he put a shaving off a tablet in his grain wash. There are 5 tablets in a container, and each tablet is evidently good to treat 1000 litres of wine juice.

Perhaps using these tablets with grain could help overcome the problem you have just experienced. Has anyone heard of using a shaving off these tablets in your wash?

APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby SBB » Wed May 21, 2014 9:23 pm

You guys astound me. The hygiene methods I use for my ferments are almost non existent. I was reprimanded once by Yummyrum for daring to stick a grubby finger into one of my washes for a quick taste to see if it was done yet. To this day Ive never seen anything like whats been posted so far.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bayshine » Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 pm

the only infection I've had(2 so far)are from all grain, and id say it was from the malt cause it only goes in at 65 deg and all other grains in the mash got to about 92 deg :think:
bayshine

Postby Sam. » Wed May 21, 2014 10:11 pm

SBB wrote:You guys astound me. The hygiene methods I use for my ferments are almost non existent. I was reprimanded once by Yummyrum for daring to stick a grubby finger into one of my washes for a quick taste to see if it was done yet. To this day Ive never seen anything like whats been posted so far.

I reckon the problem with the ginger beer was that it sat for so long, if I had kegged it when it was ready and chucked it in the fridge it prob would have been sweet.

Also because it is only a low ABV drink it will be more susceptible whereas any spirit wash it usually a lot higher so harder for infection, and your going to boil it anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Only ever had 2 infections, this one and another one of beer in my early days, really don't know how this ginger one started, probably a bug landing in it while making or some other random shit :))
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby sp0rk » Wed May 21, 2014 10:37 pm

APR wrote:
kiwikeg wrote:P... this little pukefest is growing on my malted rye wash.

Hi kiwikeg, I have a product called Solfotannico which comes in tablet form. One use of this product is to sterilise grapes to rid them of fungus and bacteria.

The infection has already taken hold, so it's already producing nasty flavours, this most likely wouldn't help
I've been really thorough with my sterilising since day one of brewing, guess I'll have to forget that with my rum washes :))
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

Postby APR » Wed May 21, 2014 11:32 pm

sp0rk wrote:The infection has already taken hold, so it's already producing nasty flavours, this most likely wouldn't help
I've been really thorough with my sterilising since day one of brewing, guess I'll have to forget that with my rum washes :))

But it you treated every grain wash with this stuff before fermenting started it might stop an infection developing.
APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby sp0rk » Thu May 22, 2014 8:07 am

Boiling should do the same thing, I guess if you were leaving the grains in during ferment and not wanting to boil (to avoid tannin extraction from barley), they would work
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

Postby Urrazeb » Thu May 22, 2014 10:45 am

sp0rk wrote:Boiling should do the same thing, I guess if you were leaving the grains in during ferment and not wanting to boil (to avoid tannin extraction from barley), they would work

I think apr is on about using it to treat all grain mashes as they are very prone to infections as the malt is never boiled as that would denature the enzymes required for conversion. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Urrazeb » Thu May 22, 2014 10:48 am

Wheres the OP picture gone?
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby MacStill » Thu May 22, 2014 11:16 am

Urrazeb wrote:Wheres the OP picture gone?

Postby kiwikeg » 03 Mar 2014 17:07

Post your grossest wash infection photos here this little pukefest is growing on my malted rye wash.
Last edited by Kimbo on 07 Mar 2014 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Pic

Not sure why, but most likely at the request of the OP :think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby kiwikeg » Thu May 22, 2014 7:22 pm

yeah I got it removed, my infection was similar to bayshines in the second post and I believe it was a acetobactor infection.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby MacStill » Thu May 22, 2014 7:58 pm

kiwikeg wrote:

yeah I got it removed, my infection was similar to bayshines in the second post and I believe it was a acetobactor infection.

Let me guess :think:

Pic uploaded from mobile with GPS on ?

Gotta watch that one hey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby sp0rk » Fri May 23, 2014 8:44 am

Urrazeb wrote:
sp0rk wrote:Boiling should do the same thing, I guess if you were leaving the grains in during ferment and not wanting to boil (to avoid tannin extraction from barley), they would work

I think apr is on about using it to treat all grain mashes as they are very prone to infections as the malt is never boiled as that would denature the enzymes required for conversion. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Correct, which is why you mash at 64-67 then boil ;)
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

Return to The Mash tun