x = 3(0.8*0.7)
= 5.35kg

Wheat:
Max yield = 79%
My assumed mashing efficiency = 70%
amount of wheat needed is:
x = 2(0.79*0.7)
= 3.62kg

Now from researching I have read an average Lintner of around 30-35 is required for full conversion, is this correct?

The barley I have selected is Barrett Burston Commander malt with an advertised WK of 311 which gives by my calcs a lintner of (311+16)3.5 = 93
The wheat I have chosen is Weyermann Pale Wheat, I can't find an exact Lintner on that wheat but it seems from reading that wheat typically has lintner values of around 60
the corn is unmalted, thus has no enzymes for conversion

so my average Lintner is = [(8.5*0) + (5.35*93) + (3.62*60)]/17.47
= 41

Now the corn at the brew shop is advertised at $7kg for flaked, is using feed grade corn like chicken feed suitable for whiskey?

Are my calcs correct? and is assuming a mash efficiency of 70% reasonable or too low/high?

Will I achieve full conversion based on the malts being used?

Can I use bakers yeast or will a brewing yeast be a much better option in terms of flavour?

Thanks in advance for any help
Raadster

equipment: Pot still

Re: First AG whiskey, please critique

Postby Raadster » Fri May 09, 2014 12:51 am

I forgot to add,

10kg worth of sugar with each kg of sugar converting to 550ml alcohol gives 5.5L spirit

desired wash of 8% so I'll need roughly 70L of water, does that sound about right?
Raadster

Postby ekul » Fri May 09, 2014 7:03 am

i think wheat has higher diastatic power than barley malt so you'll have no trouble converting everything. Chicken corn works fine you just gotta gelatinize it first.

Flaked maize from the brew show is already gelatinised so you dont need to heat to 100.

check out the program brewmate as well. its free and will help you with your calcs
ekul

equipment: none

Postby bayshine » Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 pm

it all sounds good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
the only hard part with the feed/chicken corn is milling it fine enough to get good gelatinisation :think:
oh and the extra meat/weavils :))
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby 5 o'clock » Fri May 09, 2014 10:44 pm

If you make it and then send us all a bottle each I'm sure you will get lots of critiques, probably all positive based on your recipe.
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby res » Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Love the calculations :handgestures-thumbupleft: I usually fly by the seat of my pants. I'm about to embark on a more regimented regime However. :-B
What size wash are you intending for this recipe?
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Raadster » Mon May 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the feedback, I would definitely love to send a sample or 2 to people once I've done this to get some feed back.

Right now I don't have a mill, I didn't know they were so expensive at around 150+ for the MM etc

As for the weavils + extra nasties, I will rinse the corn and allow all the crap to float to the top.

I was really hoping that sliced/cracked corn cooked for a decent amount of time would turn to mush and allow for proper gelatinisation, from what your saying that isn't going to be the case?

http://www.petandgarden.com.au/cracked- ... oduce.html that is the corn I was looking at

Thanks for confirming I was on the right track with the calcs, considering prices for grain it seems that increasing efficiency is a big incentive.

Where do you guys source your corn from? do you bite the bullet and buy the flaked maize from the LHBS? at $7 a kilo it sends the prices of producing through the roof.
Raadster

Postby Raadster » Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 pm

res wrote:Love the calculations :handgestures-thumbupleft: I usually fly by the seat of my pants. I'm about to embark on a more regimented regime However. :-B
What size wash are you intending for this recipe?

I was going for 70l as per my second post, does that sound good?
Raadster

Postby res » Mon May 12, 2014 11:27 pm

I uses stock feed corn at about 80-90 cent a kg, 25kg bags. Milled with corona style mill attached to my drill, think it cost about $50. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I cant really speak with any certainly on your amounts as up until now I've only mashed very small amounts for use in my old still. Have you checked out Brendan's thread?
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5787
His setup is very similar to the one I've almost finished. Dam good read for the AG bourbon fan.
Corn is not so hard, just take a little time. :D
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Return to The Mash tun