False bottom or BIAB

all about mashing and fermenting grains

False bottom or BIAB

Postby davecuds » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:53 pm

I've been playing around with AG's lately and my main aim is to make a nice single malt scotch. Anyway, it's proving to be quite challenging in particular the mashing. I've tried a few different ways and it ends up being a great big mess. Im getting a reasonable final result but i don't like the process one bit, i feel im doing it the hard way.

Anyway, so i'm tossing up between a BIAB or a false bottom. I also need to mention that i aim to do big ferments in the 190L HTPE drums.
I like the idea of the bag as it makes draining a lot easier but i was wondering if the wort has good access to all the grain being that it is condensed in the bag. And also 20kg of wet grain can be a bit cumbersome to handle i.e lifting/squeezing etc.
So then i though false bottom and sparge and further down the track HERMS. Well my 2 attempts at making a false bottom have been disastrous. My siphon always gets clogged and then it becomes a very messy process.

Is anyone else doing big AG mashes? And how are you all doing it? I needs some ideas before i launch into my next upgrade.

Cheers
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Re: False bottom or BIAB

Postby poompy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:52 am

I use a stainless false bottom in a round esky/drink cooler. No stuck sparges unless i tried to do it to quick or did not let the grain bed settle. Some grains will get stuck easier as well.
Mac made a huge one just recently using copper tubing with slits 1mm grinder disc should do on the underside.

As for efficencny differences between bag and false bottom, I think you lose a little with the bag but that can be made up with a little extra grain :D

Have a look at How To Brew by John Palmer he illustrates the false bottom with the copper tubing.
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Postby 1 2many » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:42 pm

I too used the john palmer method of making the copper tube false bottom and it never got clogged ever that was in a 55 ltr rectangle eski. If you are planing on big mashes I would go the false bottom way it will be far easier to manage compared to a BIAB which you will need some sort of hoist to lift the bag and then to flush the bag of grain to get the best yield. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby P3T3rPan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:15 pm

False bottom and patience
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby davecuds » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:41 pm

If making a false bottom, similar to this

mscreen.jpg

What would be a good hole size diameter? Too big and the grain will fall through, too small and the hole will get plugged up?

I think i am close to a design that will work (for me). Quite cheap and hopefully able to do approx 120L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Postby Timmsy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:17 pm

falsielineup_2.gif

beerbelly brewing has some good falsies. Wayne and Amanda can help ya out or try making your own

http://shop.beerbelly.com.au/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Timmsy

equipment: Amateur distiller.
T500 reflux
2" pot still 1500mm high sitting on a 50ltr electric keg boiler
50ltr gatorade mash tun, 25ltr HLT

Return to The Mash tun