Testing the iodine test

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Testing the iodine test

Postby res » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:56 pm

So I've heard it and read it a million times, it's a total must for all grain distillers the world over but...
So I'm mashing away and it's been about a couple of hours since I added the malt, about an hour and a half holding at 62° so lets see what the iodine says? Answer: All clear, just iodine brown and an sg of 1.050. Not fantastic but I was a bit half arsed today, distracted buy my spirit run. Then I'm called away to help the ex (long story there). Anyway I leave the whole mash recirculating for half an hour more and what do you know it's now 1.058. So I leave it some more and now I'm almost 1.065 8-)
So am I doing something wrong or are them pesky starches hiding from my iodine?
Looks like another long night watching the wort swimming around, dam pesky starches :violin:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Re: Testing the iodine test

Postby crow » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:44 am

Maybe it has something to do with where you got your test sample egoff the surface :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kiggsy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:23 am

Hi

I am about to try my hand at some all grain recipes, I have also been looking into iodine tests . But when I asked the chemist if they had iodine all I got were eye daggers and 50 questions as to what I wanted it for and finally no we don't sell iodine.

I walked out scratching my head thinking, WTF just happened . After a quick look online I now know it's used to make drugs.

So my question is will betadine or equivalent do the same job.

Sorry to stray off topic.

Cheers
kiggsy

equipment: 2" boka
25L controlled electric boiler
Mac 4 SSG
50L duel element boiler

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:16 am

Yes
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby MacStill » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:22 am

kiggsy wrote:Hi

I am about to try my hand at some all grain recipes, I have also been looking into iodine tests . But when I asked the chemist if they had iodine all I got were eye daggers and 50 questions as to what I wanted it for and finally no we don't sell iodine.

I walked out scratching my head thinking, WTF just happened . After a quick look online I now know it's used to make drugs.

Cheers

Plenty of things it can be legally used for, dont you just love being judged by fuckwits :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:06 pm

MacStill wrote:
kiggsy wrote:Hi

Cheers

Plenty of things it can be legally used for, dont you just love being judged by fuckwits :angry-banghead:

Like making beer....and you could say that without a word of lie......just don't say what you'l be doing with it
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby ENTITY77 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Should have also asked for some sudafed and red phosphorus lol. :laughing-rolling:

Seriously though don't go looking for anything containing elemental iodine, that will attract a very special kind of unwanted attention.

Povidone iodine solutions will react with starch. Nothing sure but you could prolly get betadine at the supermarket. If unsure cut a potato in half and drop some of the solution on it.
ENTITY77

equipment: All gone

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:27 pm

ENTITY77 wrote:
Povidone iodine solutions will react with starch. Nothing sure but you could prolly get betadine at the supermarket. If unsure cut a potato in half and drop some of the solution on it.

OK :D

Suck some Betadine on a spud ...also cut a slither and squished it .
It was a bit like Pantine ...it didn't happen immediately , but ...it did turn black ...not blue .( about 3-4 minutes)
The squished spud went very black but the cut spud slowly went black from the edges of the liquid.

I am not entirely convinced .
The Iodine test solution used at work contains Iodine and Potassium Iodine and it will turn blue immediately when starch is present .
Also this stuff has a short shelf life ...a few weeks and its useless .

Misc 038.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Half an hour later ...the cut spud is black
Not the speediest test but it does seem that there is a reaction happening
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

Postby res » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:21 pm

You can use Iodophor as well, it's available widely at hbs. It's a sanitizer, just don't use it on plastic as it will stain.
Mash settled at 1.065 btw.
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby badbird » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:40 pm

ENTITY77 wrote:Should have also asked for some sudafed and red phosphorus lol. :laughing-rolling:

Seriously though don't go looking for anything containing elemental iodine, that will attract a very special kind of unwanted attention.

I have got it from the local chemist before, just asked for Lugols iodine to be used in starch test for home brewing, the pharmacist didn't seem to have a problem with that. I think he said it wasn't stocked by pharmacy's much any more though. You can also still get it on evilbay.

The phosphorsss is more fun though :scared-eek:
badbird

equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Postby crow » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Of cause they sell it yeah sounds like you scored a fucktard . I would not fart arse around with benidine just go somewhere else to get it, as said there are ten thousand legit uses for iodine( sugar is used for drugs too) I have got twenty questions from chemists about codine and those that pull that shit don't generally do it twice to me
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:41 pm

thing is if it happened to me I would've walked out wondering what the billy hunt was on, not knowing WTF his problem was with me asking for it.

iodine = drugs hey ? WIBF :shock:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Stoney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:21 am

chemists can be very judgemental, seems all the useful stuff is used for drugs.

had the same issue trying to buy pure isopropyl alcohol, flux cleanup in ulrasonic cleaner on pcbs .. noo, drugs.
bunnings sell tiny bottles as a resin solvent but say they are not allowed to sell 500ml any more.

once had the 18yo blonde checkout chick at a hardware store interrogate me why i wanted acetone, apparentely its for making bombs, not sure i should sell it to you .. wtf moron.

oh .. syringes are my favourite, very useful in the ecig home lab.

hydrogen peroxide, propylene glycol, ferric chloride .. had the questions for all of em.

cool, now i get to add iodine to the list of suss products :)
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Return to The Mash tun