Using maize meal

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Using maize meal

Postby Guppy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Just brought myself a 20 kg bag of maize meal for only $10 and am keen to give it a try in place of the fine cracked maize I've been using for my mashes. It's basically a bag of corn flour which is what a lot of us are trying to achieve using blenders and what not.

Anyone tried this before? After the dramas of having to squeeze corn through a strainer then a bag I'm hoping this will just ferment out and drop and I can just siphon off the top into my still?
Guppy

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler and pot still.

Re: Using maize meal

Postby bt1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Yep,

Sets like a rock as it compacts over several days....it lacks enough structure.

should be able to syphon off if fermenting on mash bed as a result.

Bitch to mash as it's thick and needs constant stirring to avoid burning...burnt is a bloody terrible flavour and needs to be avoided.

conversion rate is good if your on enzyme with/or a high diastatic malt.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Check out this thread mate: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5787
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Guppy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:20 pm

@ BT1. I use a herms to mash so scorching shouldn't be a problem. I just hope it recirculates ok. If not I'll just cover it up and let it hold temp for a few hours once I've put the malt in.

@Themechwarrior. That's the method I've done a few times now but straining the grains twice is a PITA especially with a 100 litre batch so Ive been looking for a way to avoid having to do that.

I have a corn wash that's fermented and I took out 40 litres, strained it through my false bottom and a BIAB bag and stripped it. I want to do another 50 litre mash using the maize meal and pour it on top of the 30 litres of lees I have left in the fermenter. I'm hoping it won't be as hard to strain this time being diluted with the extra 50 litres and the corn already in there will give me extra flavour.
Only need 11 litres more of low wines and I can do my first spirit run with a corn whisky.
Guppy

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler and pot still.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 pm

I'll be doing a 150L mash this weekend, I'll ferment on the grain.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby bayshine » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:16 pm

I have used it and made a nice drop, but I found it was extremely hard to mix with out clumping and it set like concrete :angry-banghead:
The mash in the picture was 12kg to 100l of boiling water and was still to thick to stir with the drill :scared-eek:
It have plans to run corn in my herms but I will cook it in another vessel first than add it to the herms that will already have the malts circulating with a shit load of rice hulls :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Return to The Mash tun