Is an all wheat whiskey feasible?

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Is an all wheat whiskey feasible?

Postby cap73n » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm planning on making a wheat whiskey and I've done a fair bit of research. But I wanted to ask this question and get all your thoughts before I go ahead.

Obviously I'm going to need some kind of malt in the recipe to supply the enzymes for breaking down the starch etc.

Normally, we would use malted barley (no less then 20%) and the rest can be whatever grain we choose. Well I'm choosing to do as much wheat as possible.

I have 2 questions questions:

1) do you need to first cook wheat before mashing to gelatine the mash? ie. Use 80% wheat (can be either malted or unmalted) and cook till it gelatanizes, then rapidly cool to mashing temp (to avoid retrogradation) and add 20% malted wheat.

2) can you just use 100% malted wheat, with no cooking prior to mashing (same as a malted barley mash)

Also I plan to ferment and possibly distill on the grain, although I'm not sure if it would still be too thick. Please don't hesitate to inform me of all the problems I may encounter lol.

Regards,
Capten
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Re: Is an all wheat whiskey feasible?

Postby benpandaae86 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:03 pm

Im new to grain as well but when the emzines break down the starches it wont be as gluggy and if you distill on the grain theres a good chance you will get puking due to the extra protein

Im bout to try mountain moonshines traditional mash

The grain gurus can help more but have a read of brendans all grain bourbon
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:05 pm

Feasible? Yes.

Odin posted a good whisky recipe and there's another on AD that I know of. You don't NEED any malt if you don't WANT to use it, you can use enzymes.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby cap73n » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:24 pm

benpandaae86 wrote:Im new to grain as well but when the emzines break down the starches it wont be as gluggy and if you distill on the grain theres a good chance you will get puking due to the extra protein

Ben: What about if you use a low protein wheat? There are many different varieties of wheat. Unlike barley where basically you have 2-row or 6-row

TheMechwarrior wrote:Feasible? Yes.

Odin posted a good whisky recipe and there's another on AD that I know of. You don't NEED any malt if you don't WANT to use it, you can use enzymes.

Mech: makes sense, but the other half of my question is: is it a necessity to cook the wheat prior to mashing with added enzymes? (whether it's from the malt or packet)... Could you just mash 100% malted wheat like you would malted barley or do you need to cook it first?
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Postby bayshine » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:14 pm

I would maybe try 50/50 wheat/wheat malt :think:
I would buy some whole wheat meal/flour and add boiling water to it in a insulated mash tun and belt it with a paint mixer and drill(this will get very thick so you can add a small amount of malt and this will thin it down and help with mixing) and when the temp is down to about 68 deg c I would add the milled wheat malt and hold temp between 60-65deg c for a few hours or until all starches are converted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:33 pm

What are you going to oak it with to get the flavor.
wynnum1

Postby cap73n » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:53 pm

wynnum1 wrote:What are you going to oak it with to get the flavor.

I've oaked some neutrals in 10 litre oak barrels I imported from Mexico and hooley Dooley they have some nice vanilla/caramel flavours. A massive favourite between me and my friends - very smooth straight and very easy to drink with cola. My plan is to do the same with this "wheat whiskey".

I know most whiskey drinkers would turn their nose up at this Because it has limited depth and character. But I reckon for me and my family/friends. We like the very delicately balanced crossover between whiskey and oaked neutral.
cap73n

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:41 pm

I wouldn't go cooking malted wheat as you would be wasting it by killing the enzymes.

If you have access to or the money to use malted wheat then yeah you could do an all wheat malt mash the same as you would with barley.

I believe wheat doesn't have anywhere near the diasatic power that barley does so malted wheat wont convert as much unmalted wheat, can't remember the figures off the top of my head...

Good luck with the venture :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby waza » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:52 pm

I have used 33% White stock feed wheat and 66% malted barley. Both a medium grist and both added at the same time no cooking first. Wheat has a higher starch content of about 70% compared to barley about 57% . So it has a lot of starch to convert. It doesn't tend to go gluggy like corn, as long as you use enough water. If your doing AG with no added sugar or enzymes I have found a grain to water ratio of 3.5-1 works and achieved a initial gravity of 1070. about 9%. You could use less barley and more wheat but I have no info on that. You could use malted wheat instead of barley. If it's a neutral type spirit your after personally I wouldn't waste the time and effort on AG, I would just stick to an albran/weetbix or weetbix/cornflakes sugar wash.
waza

equipment: still looking.

Postby cap73n » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Sam. wrote:I believe wheat doesn't have anywhere near the diasatic power that barley does so malted wheat wont convert as much unmalted wheat, can't remember the figures off the top of my head...

Good luck with the venture :handgestures-thumbupleft:

From Barrett Burston specs;
Their pale malt (barley) has a diasatic power of 255 Wk
Whereas their malted wheat has a diasatic power of 423 WK

waza wrote:If it's a neutral type spirit your after personally I wouldn't waste the time and effort on AG, I would just stick to an albran/weetbix or weetbix/cornflakes sugar wash.

Im not really after a neutral spirit. I'm after a light delicate spirit that people who aren't whiskey drinkers can get their palate around. Kind of inbetween if you get me. Not quite one or the other...
cap73n

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:17 pm

cap73n wrote:From Barrett Burston specs;

Got a link?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby cap73n » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Sam. wrote:
cap73n wrote:From Barrett Burston specs;

Got a link?

The links are below. But you have to download the pdf on the pages.

Barley malt

http://nationalhomebrew.com.au/brewers- ... -pale-malt

Wheat malt

http://nationalhomebrew.com.au/brewers- ... wheat-malt

Cheers
cap73n

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:31 pm

They look like results from one shipment. Different varieties will differ as well but if you have a look that the barely was just in its minimum range of 250 @ 255 but max is 330.

The wheat is 423 but the minimum is 250.

Also the two shipments are from different years so i wouldn't be using those numbers as a strict guide :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby cap73n » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:36 pm

Ok fair call. You got to go off what you can find info though, thus my conclusion that wheat malt is at a minimum as good as barley malt... In practice it may, and probably is very different.
cap73n

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:38 pm

Depending what wheat malt you get it may not be as good as barley. I seem to remember that wheat can convert it's own weight so 1:1 but barley can do more.

Again depends on how good it is and what strain etc etc.

The only way to find out at the end of the day is to try, I haven't tried much with wheat so far as I am not a fan of wheat beer :))

May be on the agenda for next year though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby cap73n » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Haha exactly.

Mayb, (and this is me guessing), maybe the diasatic power of malt wheat is enough to convert the starches in a normal mash, but;

A) there is more starch in wheat to convert then barley

B) the wheat needs cooking to gelatanize the starch before the enzymes can work

Thus a wheat mash needs a malt with greater diasatic power....

This is only.me hypothesising though... So yeh, unless someone has previously done this, then I am going to have to try it myself.
cap73n

Postby bayshine » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:12 pm

I use joe white wheat malt in my all grain bourbon mash and it seems to have plenty dp :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And would bet that it converts itself and it's own weight again ;-)
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby tipsy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:21 am

bayshine wrote:I use joe white wheat malt in my all grain bourbon mash and it seems to have plenty dp :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:54 am

tipsy wrote:
bayshine wrote:I use joe white wheat malt in my all grain bourbon mash and it seems to have plenty dp :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

Interesting that he says that wheat malt has equal DP to barley :think:

In some cases that is probably true but may be more of a generalization.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby tipsy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:16 pm

Sam. wrote:In some cases that is probably true but may be more of a generalization.

I'm sure it is Sam.
I just remember buying a bag of malted wheat a few years ago from Grain and Grape and I was told it had higher DP than some malted barley.

I got over wheat beer pretty quick though so wouldn't know how it compares today.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Return to The Mash tun