corn

all about mashing and fermenting grains

corn

Postby williewonker » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 pm

so I picked up 5kgs of corn maize the other day and had no idea what to do with it, guess I had a moonshiners moment when I bought it :teasing-tease: anyway I "mashed in" with a few litres of hot water and added about 3kgs of sugar then topped up to an total of 25 litres and added some lowans yeast and lowan behold (see what I did there) it started bubbling, a little while later bits floated to the top and bit later longer those bits settled to back to the bottom so something has happened :?

Not sure what I'm trying to get or what I'll end up with running it thru the pot but I'm sort of figuring 5kg of corn in 25 litres may have been to much, how would I go "recycling" the corn for another generation and adding some sugar again, I plan to discard the bits that floated to top and settled back as I figure they are spent :think:
williewonker

equipment: t-500 boiler with 2" pot still liebig style & a 5ltr SS reflux.

Re: corn

Postby 1 2many » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:07 pm

What do you mean by "mashed in" :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby scythe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Im guessing that he means:
Put it all together in the same container and gave it a stir. :happy-partydance:
No mention of heating or starch converstion.

I guess you will get some alcohol formed, no idea on the quantity or quality of the end product.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby williewonker » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:21 pm

yeah it was pretty ad hoc I've never had access to grains before so I added some hot water and stirred for a bit :D that's heating isn't it :? yeah and I'm short on time and trying different things, I'd love to dedicate a weekend to boiling this and that but I don't have time to watch something boil, then sparge it or whatever... I am just trying for some type flavour and drop in a domino or two if I have to and let time take it's course, seems to work o.k with my woolies mollasses rum (though I like it un-oaked).. I'm no idiot and realise I'm not going to get a "perfectionists" drop unless I "find the time".... but really will I get any flavour using corn this way..
williewonker

equipment: t-500 boiler with 2" pot still liebig style & a 5ltr SS reflux.

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:36 pm

You will get flavour from the corn mate, have a look at Mac's BWKO recipe - Click Here

He uses corn, barley and wheat but it will work with just corn as well ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Return to The Mash tun