My BIAB setup

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: My BIAB setup

Postby Gavhancox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:34 am

Sam. wrote:The drain is a half inch BSP nipple welded into the keg in the middle so the ball valve is on the outside and a hop screen screws on the inside.

Temp probe mount is a half inch BSP socket welded the probe screws into.

And yep two kegs welded together think it worked out to 86L capacity :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sam I'm a pictures man, would you mind sending a pic of where the hop screen sits and a close up of where the temp gauge and drain is, I'm thinking of copying your design

Thanks
Gavhancox

equipment: 50 lt keg with 2 elements and controller,
pot still and pure distilling reflux with 600mm extension

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:36 am

Will do when I get home mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby WalterWhite » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:57 pm

Would be really helpful as part of the thread mate rather than PM if that's ok?
I have my setup ready to go .... Just need to source some blocks to put the boiler on to get the burner underneath it!
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:28 pm

RE: blocks for the boiler to sit on for the burner, em mate just grab a 16" rim and cut a hole in the side for so the burner can sit nice and flat and it's a purfect base for a gas setup. Just don't go do what I did and use a 15" as it is a tad too small for a keg and I had to beat the rim edge out for it to fit.

Back on topic

Man I gotta get a couple more kegs and make this setup as it does look the goods
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Ok, please bear in mind that this setup is constructed primarily for beer brewing but it does the same job for AG whisky.

First up is just a better side profile of the setup to see where the tap and thermo are placed, basically the tap is at the lowest point on the side of the keg and the thermo isn't too far above it.

IMG_2780.JPG

Next is a look of the inside without the hop filter attached (this is how I use it for whisky (as there are no hops)).

IMG_2781.JPG

This is what the hop filter looks like if anyone is interested, they are fairly dear but they are made by the local Adelaide company BeerBelly and it does a great job for it's intended purpose (beer related so not necessary for whisky).

IMG_2782.JPG

And this is how the hop filter attaches inside if anyone is thinking of copying this rig for beer. You will notice it sits right on the outer edge of the keg as when you boil your mash you will have all the proteins and hops end up on the bottom in the middle (if you whirlpool) so you get less of the shit. Again only of interest if you intend on boiling you mash after conversion which isn't necessary for whisky.

IMG_2784.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:33 pm

Nice one sam. Obviously a fair bit of planning went into it. :clap:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Not really, but it works :teasing-tease:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Gavhancox » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:06 am

Thanks Sam , so I was thinking instead of gas I would throw an element or two? down the bottom with a power controller device, then use the BiAb.

the idea is to have a simple all in one boiler for corn gelatinising, then use as a mash tun. Will this wrk?
Gavhancox

equipment: 50 lt keg with 2 elements and controller,
pot still and pure distilling reflux with 600mm extension

Postby WTDist » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:27 am

Use a PID temperature controller not voltage controler. both will work but you dont need to monitor tempas much with PID
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Previous

Return to The Mash tun