My BIAB setup

all about mashing and fermenting grains

My BIAB setup

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:44 pm

From another thread has led me to put up some pics of my process of using BIAB for all grain mashes.

This is all the gear I use (also a jug and milk crate)

image.jpg

Cheap mill off eBay runs on a cordless drill doesn't take too long to do 10kg

image.jpg

Smashes it up to look like this

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: My BIAB setup

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:49 pm

Today I am making a beer but the process is the same for a whisky wash just a few more temp rests.

Once you have added the crushed grain slowly to the bag in your water (to make sure you don't get dry spots) and your at correct temp turn off the burner and insulate for the mash I use an exercise mat held on with an occy strap then old blankets and towels etc in top.

image.jpg

Once mash is done I hoist it up and let it drain for a bit.

image.jpg

Then give it a bit of a squeeze with my handy pot lid.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:57 pm

Now the bit why I made this thread.

This is my "sparge" consists of and old fermenter and a colander (reckon I stole this idea from a beer site)

image.jpg

Then I add a few liters of hot water at a time on top and let it go through, can also give it a squeeze on top with my handy pot kid as well.

image.jpg

Then that's about it you could also use the grain for a sugar head wash too if you wanted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Awsome cheers sam :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Great idea for the pulley setup. How long did it take all up? Obviously its for beer but with your general method for whiskey ect how long do you plan to do it in?
One other thing i dont know about using a pot kid dont want to ruin the wash :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:56 pm

I usually set a day aside to do it for a beer I reckon it's about 5 hours all up would be longer for a whisky mash as I will rest it longer to try and get max conversion :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also damn autocorrect 8-}
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby offchops » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:52 pm

great idea for the sparging!! also i like the pulley system, its now on the list of projects for the shed.
offchops

equipment: turbo 500, home made 50mm copper potstill with 1/2 in 3/4 leibig.

Postby moonshinindawg » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:46 am

You shouldn't apply pressure to the grain at any point in time it will release more of the tannins in the grain and give you bad flavours/colour.
This is why people spargue with water. I don't even worry about it
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:24 am

moonshinindawg wrote:You shouldn't apply pressure to the grain at any point in time it will release more of the tannins in the grain and give you bad flavours/colour.

That's why your AG whisky tastes like shit Sam! Keep your damn handy pot lid out of it! :laughing-rolling:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:41 am

First I have heard of that one :?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi Sam,

Your setup is brilliant mate, thanks for sharing.

I'm guessing two kegs welded together for approximately 80 litres capacity. Can you please elaborate on the parts you used for your drain and the temperature probe please?

Many thanks

Matt
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:37 pm

The drain is a half inch BSP nipple welded into the keg in the middle so the ball valve is on the outside and a hop screen screws on the inside.

Temp probe mount is a half inch BSP socket welded the probe screws into.

And yep two kegs welded together think it worked out to 86L capacity :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby moonshinindawg » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:00 pm

Its not a huge issue, so long as the pH isn't outa wack.
I have just always avoided it because I only get like 500ml of liquid after a good drain.

I guess just avoid backsetting premash for bourbons and for the most part you will be fine
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby sp0rk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:27 pm

moonshinindawg wrote:You shouldn't apply pressure to the grain at any point in time it will release more of the tannins in the grain and give you bad flavours/colour.

This is a complete load of shit, twas a myth made up by people who doubted BIAB brewing
I've been squeezing the shit out of my bag for years and have made award winning beers and spirits with that method, NEVER had a single judge mention anything about tannins
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:30 pm

Definately have to get a pulley setup and a colander before my next grain adventure.. thanks for posting up sam !
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 pm

sp0rk wrote:

This is a complete load of shit, twas a myth made up by people who doubted BIAB brewing
I've been squeezing the shit out of my bag for years and have made award winning beers and spirits with that method, NEVER had a single judge mention anything about tannins

That's good to hear as I am a fan of my handy pot lid :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:35 pm

bluc wrote:Definately have to get a pulley setup and a colander before my next grain adventure.. thanks for posting up sam !

No worries mate, this system is super easy, relatively cheap and with spirits can be done as required through the day :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:51 pm

I use my t500 boiler to mash the only thing giving me grief was how to handle the grain at the end being able to sparge using a colander would be so simple :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby WTDist » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 am

Sam. wrote:
sp0rk wrote:

That's good to hear as I am a fan of my handy pot lid :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Im yet to try but i would have to agree. ive read about the tannins thing. Imagine a tea bag. leave it in too long and tannins leach out. now the grain bag... it is in boiling watter for a long time just sitting there. One would imagine any tannins that are going to leech out will leach out in this boiling process, not the squeezing of the bag. ill try both methods and report back but do not hold your breath :))
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby sp0rk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:47 am

WTDist wrote:
Sam. wrote:
sp0rk wrote:

Im yet to try but i would have to agree. ive read about the tannins thing. Imagine a tea bag. leave it in too long and tannins leach out. now the grain bag... it is in boiling watter for a long time just sitting there. One would imagine any tannins that are going to leech out will leach out in this boiling process, not the squeezing of the bag. ill try both methods and report back but do not hold your breath :))

You're not boiling your grains (other than corn if it's not pre gelatinised)
you need to heat to over 80C to extract tannins, the highest you should ever heat is to 75C for mashing out
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby 1 2many » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Great stuff Sam :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sometimes simple equipment can be the best equipment. :dance:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Next

Return to The Mash tun