Help with mashing for whisky

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Help with mashing for whisky

Postby domgistimo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Well I'm trying to do a corn wheat and barley wash for whisky and it's taking too long to ferment it's my 3rd mash in a row that this is happening to first mash went to crap so I binned it (infection) after 2 weeks 2nd mash same thing but distilled it anyway and got 2 litres of bad alcahol now my 3rd one has been fermenting over a week now and it's slowly bubbling still I'm doing the recipe for all grain bourbon in the recipe development section so I pitched the yeast about 12 on Sunday and sunday night it was going well on Monday night it pretty much completely stopped and the temp of mash was 42c it started at 30c and it was a cool day around 20c how can I keep this cooler and I'm also confused about generations I though just do a all grain mash then distill it
domgistimo

equipment: Reflux

Re: Help with mashing for whisky

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:28 pm

If you give us a bit more info like what grains, are they feed grains, what yeast you are using, whats your ambient temps ect the ag brains here will be all over it.
Also are you running your wash through a reflux? If not update your profile ;-)
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby bluc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:30 pm

What are you fermenting in? is it closed top or open? I just did the bwko reciepe and each gen took 14 days till ready(cleared) in fermenter. As far as gens go you do a mash(boil the corn to release the starch from then add the malt barely,enzymes(if you use them) and the wheat, and let it steep in water no hotter than 65 degrees to convert the starch to sugar. But part of the total volume of the mash will be "backset" the stuff left over in boiler after a strip run the amount will vary, follow the recipe too start with then alter it to taste down the track if you want. Then once its cooled it all goes back on the yeast bed/lees/trub and the same yeast the fermented the first back ferments each generation from then on. Clear as mud??
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:22 am

Also a specific gravity reading would be helpful
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby domgistimo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:58 am

Hi all for my 80l wash I used 15kg corn fine as I could mill it with my corona mill 4kg wheat malt and 4kg barley malt both cracked I used about 7l back set with about 80 l water boiled it all the way to 200c then put it in my esky only about half of water added corn mixed it in and closed the esky lid about 7 hours later I came back and added water and got temp 70c and then added wheat barley and 4 packs of enzymes and mixed well closed the lid, came back in the morning and had to cool off till 30c I used my copper chiller which just run water from my ibc it took about 3 hours to cool from 55c to 30c then I added whisky yeast 4 packets 72g my sg was 1070 after 24 hrs it stopped fermenting at 1040 and the temp of mash was 42c
domgistimo

Postby bluc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:55 am

Doesn't sound like technique is a problem did you sanitize everything before use? And is your fermenter open top or closed? Is it an old fermenter with scuffs scratch's on inside(if plastic) or any other obvious places that bacteria can live? Did you get a photo of the infected wash?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby domgistimo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:23 am

Closed top esky and I've got a spray bottle of sanitiser maybe on the first day I should leave the esky lid off and just cover with cloth or can I leave the lid off
domgistimo

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:18 pm

i'd say get it out of the esky! Great for mashing in, not so much for fermenting. i would suggest the wash is generating heat and the insulation of the esky is trapping it all in. put it in a plain sided fermenting vessel and it will allow it to expel some heat. A screw top drum with an air lock is a good way to keep nasties out too. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC

Postby domgistimo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:30 pm

Sounds like 1 thing to try but is it possible to heat and cool my mash in my esky automatically maybe with a element under a false bottom and some sort of immersion chiller
domgistimo

Postby maddogpearse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:53 pm

Keep it simple dude :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maddogpearse

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:02 pm

domgistimo wrote:Hi all for my 80l wash I used 15kg corn fine as I could mill it with my corona mill 4kg wheat malt and 4kg barley malt both cracked I used about 7l back set with about 80 l water boiled it all the way to 200c then put it in my esky only about half of water added corn mixed it in and closed the esky lid about 7 hours later I came back and added water and got temp 70c and then added wheat barley and 4 packs of enzymes and mixed well closed the lid, came back in the morning and had to cool off till 30c I used my copper chiller which just run water from my ibc it took about 3 hours to cool from 55c to 30c then I added whisky yeast 4 packets 72g my sg was 1070 after 24 hrs it stopped fermenting at 1040 and the temp of mash was 42c

Enzymes are tricky things, I would give them a miss in your next AG as your malted barley and wheat will handle the conversion fine. As long as you crush them to release all the goodness :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby res » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:14 pm

maddogpearse wrote:i'd say get it out of the esky!

:text-+1:
For sure, lots of heat generated early on.

domgistimo wrote:Sounds like 1 thing to try but is it possible to heat and cool my mash in my esky automatically maybe with a element under a false bottom and some sort of immersion chiller

I ferment in a old fridge, look up "fermenting fridge" here or elsewhere. Works a treat. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Re: Fermentation Chamber

Postby domgistimo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:54 am

How do commercial distillers keep the temp they require
domgistimo

Postby domgistimo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:03 am

Ok thats something to look into how do the commercial distillers keep the temp correct
domgistimo

Postby maddogpearse » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 am

lots of distilleries have been around since the 1800's. i doubt they used anything! if you think about it, rum likes a hot ferment, and rum was traditionally made it hot places. Things like scotch whiskey like a cooler ferment, and they were made in scotland, not an excessively hot country.
Bigger volumes tend to stabilize temperature better, so maybe try putting on a 10,000 liter wash and tell us how you go. :laughing-rolling:
Personally i don't really give two hoots about consistency. I need to have a heater on in winter, especially at night or my wash gets too cold. In summer if it's really hot, i open a window in my shed. Or don't put down a wash. i wait for a cooler week. There is a lot of consideration to think about in this game, but i think you can easily over think it, and spend time doing stuff that really doesn't matter all that much!
It will still work and taste great, just pull it out of the damn esky!
maddogpearse

Postby scythe » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:50 am

Usually in cold warehouses, with immersian chillers and heaters, constantly monitored and automatically adjusted.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Sam. » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:49 pm

scythe wrote:Usually in cold warehouses, with immersian chillers and heaters, constantly monitored and automatically adjusted.

I'm going to assume you are talking brewery not distillery here?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby WTDist » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:10 pm

I thought larger batches, say 10 000L would get higher t emps with the extra yeast and thermal mass? maybe i was wrong but thought i saw that on a doco?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby the Doctor » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 pm

it does not matter if you are making whiskey or beer..up till distillation the process is identical ( with whiskey mashes even called beer)... to achieve consistent fermentation we built a large freezer room which we bought from a Woolworths which was being renovated... this room is capable of handling about 8000 liters... It has thermostatic control over a small fan heater... but most of the time the exothermic heat is all that is required. ..
To achieve something like this at home one could use an old fridge as a cabinet.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:30 pm

If you start off with a small batch can save on yeast by reusing the yeast and when measuring the temperature of the mash its hard to get an accurate temperature .
wynnum1

Next

Return to The Mash tun