Straining corn mash :( Small small steam injection??

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Straining corn mash :( Small small steam injection??

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri May 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Hava » Sat May 07, 2016 7:23 pm

vqstatesman wrote:So anyway I started googling a little about how some commercial setups might operate. I stumbled across steam injected mash tun stripping stills and instantly fell in love. Essentially these babies are a mash tun and stripping still in one, all powered/heated by steam. This type of setup allows you to mash and then distill on the grain, all in one vessel. The slight problem is I can only locate systems for around $20K which are 100 gallon (380L). All things being equal (which they never quite are) a smaller system of say 100 should cost around $5K which I would totally part with.

Has anyone else managed to find something small scale that meets our needs? Or any other magical method?

I understand your pain with squeezing by hand. Having done a number of corn mashes where each one required 4 hours of hand squeezing.

One option that hasn't been mentioned is a screw press. Distilleries and breweries use them to dewater their grain to then on sell to farmers as feed. Haven't got my hands on one yet, but could be a good option to using hands.

As these are hard to acquire I'll be rebuilding my mega mash tun, so that I can attach a boiler that will push stream through, better than nearly $7k for a double boiler from a source that can not be named on this forum.
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby warramungas » Sun May 08, 2016 11:29 am

Wobblyboot wrote:Has anyone tried this before?
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 92&t=50507

Isn't this the same as putting all your wash in a big thumper and heating with the boiler?
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby vqstatesman » Sun May 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Hava wrote:
vqstatesman wrote:So anyway I started googling a little about how some commercial setups might operate. I stumbled across steam injected mash tun stripping stills and instantly fell in love. Essentially these babies are a mash tun and stripping still in one, all powered/heated by steam. This type of setup allows you to mash and then distill on the grain, all in one vessel. The slight problem is I can only locate systems for around $20K which are 100 gallon (380L). All things being equal (which they never quite are) a smaller system of say 100 should cost around $5K which I would totally part with.

Has anyone else managed to find something small scale that meets our needs? Or any other magical method?

I understand your pain with squeezing by hand. Having done a number of corn mashes where each one required 4 hours of hand squeezing.

One option that hasn't been mentioned is a screw press. Distilleries and breweries use them to dewater their grain to then on sell to farmers as feed. Haven't got my hands on one yet, but could be a good option to using hands.

As these are hard to acquire I'll be rebuilding my mega mash tun, so that I can attach a boiler that will push stream through, better than nearly $7k for a double boiler from a source that can not be named on this forum.

Screw press? Do you mean like a wine press?
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby bluc » Sun May 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Could always use one of these to squeeze the biab

Last edited by Sam. on Sun May 08, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun May 08, 2016 9:06 pm

warramungas wrote:

Isn't this the same as putting all your wash in a big thumper and heating with the boiler?

It could be but I haven't tried it. Have u?
Wobblyboot

Postby warramungas » Mon May 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
warramungas wrote:

Dont do thumpers or steam injection. Depends what sort of steam heating you want. Do you want a closed system where the steam just pumps through a jacket/coil to heat the wash indirectly and then returns, via a mild condensing system back to the boiler as a liquid so the boiler always retains the water or open where it pumps steam directly into the wash to heat it and the level in the boiler goes down I'm guessing the latter would be the easiest to build but the former would only need a small boiler.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu May 12, 2016 7:18 pm

warramungas wrote:
Wobblyboot wrote:
warramungas wrote:

Dont do thumpers or steam injection. Depends what sort of steam heating you want. Do you want a closed system where the steam just pumps through a jacket/coil to heat the wash indirectly and then returns, via a mild condensing system back to the boiler as a liquid so the boiler always retains the water or open where it pumps steam directly into the wash to heat it and the level in the boiler goes down I'm guessing the latter would be the easiest to build but the former would only need a small boiler.

They both sound worth checking out. Have u seen any plans for either? Iv run some thick fruit mashes without burning on gas, I don't let the flames touch the keg but I think steam would be faster with all grain and fruit with no chance of burning. Want a safe system tho, steam not something to go halfassed at :shock:
Wobblyboot

Previous

Return to The Mash tun