Bushy's Double Boiler

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Bushy's Double Boiler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Eh Bushy I am that much intrigued about this double boiler I have started on the quest of getting the parts to make one. Now where I thought of cutting the base of a donor keg to get the base of the keg to tig weld upside down just became a lot easier with buying the keg mashtun today. Just cut off the base shroud of the top keg and tig weld it in hole cut in the lower keg. Too eas :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: y...

Now looking thru the thread I did see you used a 6-4" reducer so went and had a look on the 5Star shop to buy one but it was showing no stock :think: so gave Allan a call and he does have 1 left in the workshop. :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: So email sent thru the store to Sue and hopefully I get a reply soon.

I am itching to get onto this project so I can test out that baby brother Lincoln arc/tig welder I had to buy as the big brother went out in fashion throwing 1 metre blue sparks which melted the top of the welder.

So it does look like a heap more annealing needs to be down on the crash cooler or I may just stick on the for sale section and make another one.

Now the difference I will be doing I will be running this using a flame either the crappy bunnings 3 ring burner that won't even work using a hp reg or the one I'm thinking of making basically a few turns of copper pipe with some scarp copper tigged where the burner hole are drilled. Or just go with using an oil burner as I do have a 3 phase industrial fan here working on it's own vfd.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Bushy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 am

Be interested to see how ya go with it Bryan.
Just be mindful of the fact that you're making a pressure vessel full of 120 degree water and steam. I gave mine a gutfull of compressed air to test it and fitted a pressure relief valve and pressure guage to it.
The relief valve was a pain to source but ended up getting one from the UK. But I see Kegking does a 1.5 bar pressure/vacuum relief valve. That would be a handy feature if you forget to open something after heating is finished.
I personally enjoy the set and forget thing with power controllers but if gas is your thing then I'm sure you will work it out. Look forward to your results mate. Stay safe.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 am

G'day Bushy,
Well the crash cooler sailed thru a 6" copper ring I made and is now sitting in a bath of citric acid to clean it up. I found a 6" ferrule setup with cap, triclamp ferrule and seal for $79 and it's on the slow boat from China. With the cap I'll drill and may have to machine it down so I can fit a bung and air lock to it so once the ferment is cooled down just slap the yeasties in and put the cap on. Anyway got a few weeks to wait so I'm back onto the carter head project and this week after work I'll cut the kegs down and set it up for tigging into place.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Retlaw02 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:05 pm

hi bushy how did the distilling on the grain turn out after aging I’m new to the game and find squeezing out the mash a real pain your system looks great but how does it taste after distilling the yeast
Retlaw02

equipment: 25lt pot still electric heating

Previous

Return to The Mash tun