Bushy's Double Boiler

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Bushy's Double Boiler

Postby Bushy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks bud. The stuff i'm lookin at is called mitavite etru corn. It brags a 90% digestability as opposed to 29 for cracked corn. I just want to avoid the boil. Tomorrow i plan to heat it to 87 with sebstar htl. Check conversion after an hour or so then drop it down to the amylase rest. I am fairly sure that this etruded stuff wil be inline with the corn Ian Smiley uses.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Interested to see your results, got some of Pintoshines enzymes, just need to get set up to use them.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Bushy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:08 pm

I'm using the same. Trouble is turning cracked corn into flour with my corona mill. Three runs through and it's still not flour. Which is why I boiled it.
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Bushy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Another mash done. This one is the steam extruded corn from the stock feed joint. It's weird stuff to look at but you chew on a bit and it sort of gives way and dissolves.
Ran it once through the mill.

IMG_1175.JPG

This is about the best Corona setup I could find.

So, I half filled the tun with scheme water, turned on one element, added 10mls of Sebstar HTL, engaged the drill powered paddle and slowly added the 10 kilo of Mitavite Extru Corn.
Once the temp reached the preset 85 degrees I let it stir at that temp for an hour or so. Playing pool and drinkin beer at this stage so I didn't take notes. Anyway, as me mate was fuckin off we did an iodine test and it was a lovely brown colour. Turned off the boiler, tipped in my bucket of slops from last time and bought the temp down to 65. Added the Amylase, wrapped it up with blankies and had dinner.
This morning I took off the insulation and let it cool to 32 degrees. Took a hydrometer reading of 1075. A little high so I put a tad more water in. Whacked my Dry Ale yeast starter in and wrapped it up again. I'll leave the boiler at 30 degrees and hopefully by Tuesday I can run it.
The corn wash is delicious though. I think this extruded corn may be a winner. I also think this double boiler is a winner. It's opened up the mashing game for me better than I could have hoped. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:22 pm

Hey bushy how full do you have the heater tank part? Hope nothing ever goes wrong and that valve blows! Steam at 40psi blowing every where mid run would make me soil my pants!
Great idea though. This opens up lots of possibilities.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Bushy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:46 pm

For the mash heatup I just fill the bottom section until it comes out the valve at the top. Going for maximum surface contact between the mash and the hot water in the boiler. I leave the top valve open.
For the still run I fill it until its up to the thermoport which is about half way up. I set the temp control to 115 degrees and let her go. The relief valve is 20psi. Water will reach 120 dgrees at 15psi before it boils. So there is a fair margin. 105 dgrees maintained a stacked set of plates. I'm still learning as I go.
But. Safety is high in my thoughts because it is a pressure vessel.
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Bushy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:52 pm

Update again.
The Mitavite has been a bit of a disappointment. Everything about it looks good, until you run it. Got a litre and a half of nice hearts on the first run then the taste went to shit. Not tails but not hearts either. Kind of a bitter shitty taste that time on oak won't fix. Made up a whole new mash with Bakers yeast just to check the result. Same. Fuck the Mitavite.
Anyway, my friendly mate Ralph from the local brew shop got me in a bag of Best Malz Rye malt. So I ground up 6kg of corn added some HTL enzyme and boiled it for an hour and a half, crashed it down to 68 and added 1.5kg of the rye and the same of Golden Promise. Let that sit until the next morning and then cooled it down. Fermented like a mad bastard. Ran it through the trusty bubbler to good effect. Very nice off the still and got about three litres at 92.
Changed tact on the current run. Same grain bill but I just boiled the lot for a couple of hours with the HTL, cooled it and added the Amylase. Put the yeast in yesterday morning and it's going apeshit at 25 degrees.
That's the beauty of this double boiler. You got full control over the temperature of the tun.
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:34 am

Do you think carbon filtering will clean up that taste.
wynnum1

Postby tipsy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:20 am

Bushy wrote:Fuck the Mitavite.

Thanks for the update Bushy.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby warramungas » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:54 pm

wynnum1 wrote:Do you think carbon filtering will clean up that taste.

If its come after the hearts it should with careful filtering.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Bushy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Don't know about carbon filtering. I just collect all feints and filter it through five plates and a kilo of copper mesh.
Comes out fine. Girls like it anyway
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:20 pm

Have you ever tried flaked corn from the home brew grain supplies? Apparently no need to gelatanize just bring to enzyme temp hold then cool and pitch..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Bushy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:33 pm

bluc wrote:Have you ever tried flaked corn from the home brew grain supplies? Apparently no need to gelatanize just bring to enzyme temp hold then cool and pitch..

No mate I have not. It could be argued that I should have treated the extruded corn like that. I'm kind of caught between using the Enzymash enzyme deal and going full roar with the malted grain path. I gotta say the HTL keeps the corn nice and thin from go to whoa but am I losing something by using it? I'll just keep chipping away at it. Doing a run every week so it won't take long. Build a double boiler motherfuckers, you won't regret it. Look at me, thats just on beer.
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:24 pm

Build a double boiler motherfuckers
:laughing-rolling: that sounds like a challenge ill think about it :)) :think:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby 1 2many » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Great thread Bushy, watching with interest. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby woodduck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi Bushy,

Great build mate, love the idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Do you still run this system? I'm looking at doing something similar. I like AG but straining the goodness from grains turns me off. Being able to do the whole lot on the grain is a great idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Bushy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Hey Woodduck,
I haven't in a while. I got a whole heap of runs in with her though. Just waiting on the aged results so I can be a little more sure of the direction I'm going with it.
Early results show a lot of promise.
And yeah, the no straining is the woodducks nuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bushy

Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby woodduck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks mate, good to hear :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'll definitely look into it further. I'll keep you posted on my progress :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:06 am

Only thing with grain in the top boiler after you finish how do you empty it and clean it
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby woodduck » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:17 am

I'm thinking 4" pipe with triclamped cap at the bottom on 45deg angle
woodduck
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Mash tun