All Wheat Vodka - yeast options

all about mashing and fermenting grains

All Wheat Vodka - yeast options

Postby viking » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:52 pm

Hey All,
I've go a 25kg sack of malted wheat. so I'll make a All Wheat Vodka with it. Does anyone have a suggestion on a yeast to use. Previous Wheatbix vodka I have used Lowans with good result. Are there any other options?

Cheers
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Re: All Wheat Vodka - yeast options

Postby res » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:15 pm

I'd suggest ec1118, pretty clean, pretty cheap be good for vodka I reckon.
If you wanted to stretch your malt dollar and stay all grain you could cut the malt with some stockfeed wheat. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Good luck bud. :greetings-waveyellow:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:33 am

You can buy yeast in those turbo yeasts one they sell is for vodka and has enzymes have done ferments using only a portion of one of these packs and it worked ok but have not tied the one with enzymes.Thinking of trying to see if enzymes helps.
They probably have the ec1118 in some of them.
wynnum1

Postby the Doctor » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:47 am

with wheat I find that the choice of yeast can very much affect the flavour... It comes down to whether or not you want the "wheat" characteristic to show through...or you are looking to make a true neutral. EC 118 or uvaferm 43 ( i think that is the number) will render a true neutral with a strip and at least 6 plate finishing run... If you are looking to have a more wheat influenced taste, try some of the wheat beer yeasts, they produce some of the wilder fruit esters you see in Hefferweisen, this combination can be used to bring out fruit flavours such as banana ( especially if you add a small amount of dextrose to the wash) tropical fruit flavours and passionfruit. If you are looking for the fruitier style finish in a pot still or no more than 3 plate reflux. The resultant vodka drinks like a rustic old fashioned vodka .... flavoursome but a bit rough for my taste.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Return to The Mash tun