Rum's go at all grain

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Rum's go at all grain

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:33 pm

We'll i have my corn, wheat malted barley and now i have my safspirit American whiskey yeast.
Tomorrow morning is d day, i plan to make similar to makers mark, according to mash bills from the distilleries.
Plenty of pics to come fingers crossed it works out :pray:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Re: Rum' go at all grain

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:23 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:We'll i have my corn, wheat malted barley and now i have my safspirit American whiskey yeast.
Tomorrow morning is d day, i plan to make similar to makers mark, according to mash bills from the distilleries.

You prob already know but if your mash is real thick thin it a bit with a cup or so of malt. Will help you get a more accurate temp reading on your thermometer when you add your malt for the conversion. Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Rum's go at all grain

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:37 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:We'll i have my corn, wheat malted barley and now i have my safspirit American whiskey yeast.

Good luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Can't wait to taste this :happy-partydance:
BBQ at your place in 3-6months
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:15 am

I have already had a failure or two.
Got my boiler upto temp and noticed when I was decanting some into the mash tunn there was small brown gunk in the water, so i have had to empty the lot clean the boiler and start reheating again :angry-banghead:
Second failure I noticed that my barley I ground lastweekend had gone all mouldy ffs. Of well atleast I have plenty more, just have to mill it.
So i'm already 2 hours behind where I wanted to be.
Thanks for the encouragement fellas :O)
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:23 am

Here is the setup.
After this intitial run ill have more of an idea what I need to change to be more efficient.
P.s the puddles aren't from leaking hoses or fittings, just me spilling shit again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumdidlydum

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:29 am

G'day Rumy,
How do you intend on processing the grains?
Boil them (as in the corn) up, then add the barley to convert the starches or have you got something else in mind ...?
I've had one go at the Appalchian Moonshine and had some initial issues at the end of the ferment, but it turned OK (I think) in the end. Have most of it on Oak to see what I can get out of it, but wasn't "smashed" by my own success; had hoped for better.
I would like to know how your going to do it... different techniques to perhaps improve my end product...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:08 pm

My plan is to boil the required amount of water, add the milled corn thanks to one of those cheap arse mills.
Let sit at the highest temp I could maintain with recirulating hot water from the boiler through an old reflux coil. I managed to control the mash temp at 80deg with the boiler at 98deg, I lost alot of temperature throughout the hoses which next time I will change them for something better.
I have added the milled wheat and droped the temperature to 76deg. I'll let that sit for about two hours mixing intermittently with a paint stirer on the drill.
I will add the half the malted barley at 72deg let cool naturally then the rest at 62deg.
Hopefully I haven't misconstrued the temps 8-}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumdidlydum

Postby Petulance » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Keep at it old son, I have more faith in your abilities than I have in mine (which, admittedly would not be hard)

Oh, and just for my own personal satisfaction .... please spill something and post the photo. I like company.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 pm

You gunna ferment on the grain then squeeze? or strain boil then ferment? Am I right in thinking the reflux coil is the only source of heat? no element in the tun? :-B
bluc
Site Donor

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:31 pm

I was planning on squeezing before the ferment. Yes the coil is the only source of heat :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Rustic set-up.

I have nothing like that :D when we did ours we simply poured boils water over the corn. This didn't hold the temp and we certainly didn't compensate for the cooling effect of the corn! :-B

Learning! Thank you for sharing your method.
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Hows your grain inaugural going?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:36 pm

No probs ezi but this is my first go and i have already had many hurtles.
So I threw in the first lot of malted barley onto the very thick mash. I was waiting for at least a small amount of conversion and it to turn to liquid. It didn't. After over an hour it still hadn't. I was getting a bit worried, with a little coaching from sam i pitched the rest at 67deg and gave it a good stir and some time. Next time I checked it was still very thick, I have sealed it up and have left it so I can retain the heat without starting up my boiler again.
Just gave it another stir now and it feels like its consistancy is thinner but Im not going to touch it till the morning to retain the heat, which curently is at 60.4deg.
Plan b if by morning it hasn't thinned I may have to make it a sugar head. Thats worst case scenaro though.
rumdidlydum

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Could prob split it into two. I thought it thinned fast half hour-ish but what do i know, i split my failure into two, but was still a failure i used a "food grade not taste no smell" water hose from bunnings now have some corn whiskey that tastes like a garden hose
:laughing-rolling: hose went back and the whiskey is dissapearing one nip at a time(bout all i handle at a time :puke-huge: )
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Well for us it didn't even go thick... Boiled 8 L of water added some corn, added some boiling water... etc.
Added the Barley (malted it myself, woohoo) and nothing exciting happened.
Checked it every day (probably why it got infected-see my post) but it took off eventually.

We scooped the crap off the top and then did 5 stripping runs... Ended up with one keg charge of low wines which resulted in 8L of product we kept... It's now been 3mths on oak and is f i n a l l y starting to taste like something I want to put into my mouth!!
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:10 pm

How did you get on did the malt work its magic?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:30 pm

bluc wrote:How did you get on did the malt work its magic?

Is that aimed at me?
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Sorry no aimed at rumy wondering how his mash turned out..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:34 pm

EziTasting wrote:
bluc wrote:How did you get on did the malt work its magic?

Is that aimed at me?

Btw good to hear you got something drinkable even with an infected mash will have to remember that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Next

Return to The Mash tun