Corn flour, what will happen?

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Corn flour, what will happen?

Postby Peregian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Making up a mash tun using a 160 liter ice box and for the bottom drain stainless steel woven mesh from a 2 meter washing machine water inlet hose. Seem to be a very fine filter, maybe too fine.

If I use finely ground corn, almost like flour, what are the chances of the drain blocking?

The mash will have barley and wheat added as the mash temperature drops. I have used cracked corn before but not in a true mash tun.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Re: Corn flour, what will happen?

Postby bluc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:48 pm

It will block apparently you cant sparge either have read a few places rice hulls in the mash help but dont know never tried them..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Kenster » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Per, just to keep it simple, couldnt you just use your fermenter as you intend, without the SS drain/filter thing and just let it settle a day or so and decant/syphon it off. You dont lose too much wash and then just chuck what u dont need,almost a certainty that you will clog up and create much more work for yourself.Even if u get a bit of grunge into the mix, it cooks off clean.
Ken
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Peregian » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:25 am

Think I will go with the barley and wheat and drop the corn, too much expense to have a stuff-up on a large mash.
When I started making the 160 liter mash tun never even thought of how much it would cost for grain.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby sp0rk » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:41 am

Peregian wrote:Think I will go with the barley and wheat and drop the corn, too much expense to have a stuff-up on a large mash.
When I started making the 160 liter mash tun never even thought of how much it would cost for grain.

If you're using enough malted barley, micronized horse corn feed would work well
It doesn't need a cereal mash because it's already gelatinised, you can just add it straight to the tun and the enzymes from your barley should convert the starch if you've got enough in there
Micrmaize should work http://www.hygain.com.au/feeds/micrmaize/
I work in the equine industry, I'm trying to get some at cost price through work to see how it goes, just gotta finish the 25kg sack of cracked corn I bought for doing UJSSM first
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Peregian wrote:Think I will go with the barley and wheat and drop the corn, too much expense to have a stuff-up on a large mash.

At a rough estimate what do you reakon a 160l all grain mash would cost in grain? Nearly ready to start on big batchs and looking for best way to do big batchs of corn whiskey. Guessing a sugarhead will be the way to go...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:47 pm

How big is your boiler would start out smaller and work up to bigger did a beer with 4 kg pale malt and 2 kg of rice for 23 L malted grain is easy but rice and corn when you cook multiplies .Would need about 50 kg of grain and if using US recipe there malt converts more starch then the Australian
What’s the difference between 2-row and 6-row?
wynnum1

Postby Peregian » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:48 pm

I use an excel sheet to calculate the water/space/grain bill.

This sheet is none of my doing I found it some time ago while doing a web search, can't remember the web site. Hope it is OK to add the file to this post, if not please delete.

With the grain bill at about 25 KG and costing about $5 plus per kilo that's $125, too much money to lose if I stuff-up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peregian

Postby sp0rk » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:31 am

Peregian wrote:With the grain bill at about 25 KG and costing about $5 plus per kilo that's $125, too much money to lose if I stuff-up.

You really should buy full 25kg sacks of grain, you'll save yourself a fair amount
I pay $50 per sack for Aussie malts and $80 for UK malts (smoked/peated malt is a tad more expensive)
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

Postby Peregian » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:18 pm

sp0rk wrote:You really should buy full 25kg sacks of grain, you'll save yourself a fair amount
I pay $50 per sack for Aussie malts and $80 for UK malts (smoked/peated malt is a tad more expensive)

Have thought about full sacks of grain but at this stage would like to make sure this large mash tun works OK.

Not sure if you can purchase a full sack and have it cracked.
Peregian

Postby sp0rk » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:38 pm

Peregian wrote:
sp0rk wrote:You really should buy full 25kg sacks of grain, you'll save yourself a fair amount

Have thought about full sacks of grain but at this stage would like to make sure this large mash tun works OK.

Not sure if you can purchase a full sack and have it cracked.

I think a grain mill is one of the best purchases I've ever made, I highly recommend it
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

Return to The Mash tun