New Malt Supplier in Northern Tasmania

all about mashing and fermenting grains

New Malt Supplier in Northern Tasmania

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:10 pm

I have just arranged to pick up some Malt from Not For Horses in Launceston, their prices are good. I will be using it as a base malt for a Peated Single Malt, I will post results once it is getting a bit of age
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Re: New Malt Supplier in Northern Tasmania

Postby sp0rk » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:23 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I have just arranged to pick up some Malt from Not For Horses in Launceston, their prices are good. I will be using it as a base malt for a Peated Single Malt, I will post results once it is getting a bit of age

Let us know how it goes
We were doing a bulk buy from him over on AHB, but then he had a few set backs and had to cancel it until the malthouse was completed
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:34 pm

sp0rk wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:I have just arranged to pick up some Malt from Not For Horses in Launceston, their prices are good. I will be using it as a base malt for a Peated Single Malt, I will post results once it is getting a bit of age

Let us know how it goes
We were doing a bulk buy from him over on AHB, but then he had a few set backs and had to cancel it until the malthouse was completed

Picked up 2 bags the other night, mashed 12kg today. Similar yield to what I have got with a pale malt after mashing 2 batches ended up with 45L@ 1.065 which is now going crazy with a TBSP and a half of Malt Whisky Yeast, I have decided to mash all 40kg and do a spirit run of about 20L to see what its like on its own and use the rest with peated malt. 75c a kg cheaper than what I have been using as a base means a considerable saving, plus I can support a local :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby tassiespirit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:20 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
sp0rk wrote:

Let us know how it goes

Picked up 2 bags the other night, mashed 12kg today. Similar yield to what I have got with a pale malt after mashing 2 batches ended up with 45L@ 1.065 which is now going crazy with a TBSP and a half of Malt Whisky Yeast, I have decided to mash all 40kg and do a spirit run of about 20L to see what its like on its own and use the rest with peated malt. 75c a kg cheaper than what I have been using as a base means a considerable saving, plus I can support a local :handgestures-thumbupleft:

TasSpirits

How did it all go? I am interested as I am in the northern end but west. Would like to do Bourbon style mash sometime in the future with a grain mash. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Tassiespirit
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:04 am

I wont know for sure for a few more months, my initial tastings are not great so far, the grain is not as clean as other brands, makes good Beer but not so good Whisky IMHO
TasSpirits

Postby tassiespirit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:48 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I wont know for sure for a few more months, my initial tastings are not great so far, the grain is not as clean as other brands, makes good Beer but not so good Whisky IMHO

What mix are you doing ? Are you using both their barley and wheat? or just a straight malt style?
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:03 pm

tassiespirit wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:I wont know for sure for a few more months, my initial tastings are not great so far, the grain is not as clean as other brands, makes good Beer but not so good Whisky IMHO

What mix are you doing ? Are you using both their barley and wheat? or just a straight malt style?

The XPA that he does. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Return to The Mash tun