New mash tun for corn barley rye whisky

all about mashing and fermenting grains

New mash tun for corn barley rye whisky

Postby domgistimo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:02 am

Well it's been a while since I been online and I've been busy I have a fermenting room now heating and cooling is done but seems to need more insulation so I've started my updated mash tun before it was taking to long to get conversion and I couldn't heat or cool the mash so I've built a copper manifold for the draining of grain and I've got about 10 meters of copper coil for internal heating and then cooling of mash I'm going to use my old 25ltr boiler and hot water pump to keep temp up around 90c or as high as I can keep it for the corn then after gelitnisation quick connect it to my 1000l water tank and cool it down to about 70c to add barley and rye then connect the boiler again with a temp controller to keep it around 68c for an hour then let it cool by it self for an hour for extra conversion... Basically I'm guessing if heating and cooling is going to work effectively but it should be quicker than before at the end also I'm going to cool it right down with the immersion coil/heater/cooler to about 30c then drain into fermenter any extra ideas or help would be good am I even on the right track
domgistimo

equipment: Reflux

Re: New mash tun for corn barley rye whisky

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:43 am

1. A little brown pump is no good.
2. You cant have the water temp at x deg and expect the mash to be the same temperature.
3. You need to be constantly mixing to get the mash to get an even temperature.
This is what i hsve found so far :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WTDist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:07 am

Havent done it myself but rummy is right, you will need to stir the wash from the thick viscosity
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:13 am

Lots of the pumps do not like boiling water how big is the mash tun if the corn is hot enough will not matter if temperature drops it will get that thick that will not be able to hardly stir if you let cool.
wynnum1

Postby domgistimo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:40 am

Hi guys thanks for quick reply I'm doing 80 ltr mash in 100ltr esky I'm going to get a hot water pump from homebrew shop rated up to 110c 240v to connect to my temp controller and my stirrer was going to be a 240v drill with rpm low but not sure if that's going to work otherwise Im intending to get a ice cream maker motor and modify it to suit my esky they have high torque low rpm might just be enough to equalise the temp I'm just trying to keep the temp stable to gelatnize and then convert in a small amount of time possible
domgistimo

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:56 pm

To be honest I have tried the same method with my mash and it has been a waist of time. If you have good insulation the temperature will hold long enough for the starch to be removed from the grains. :-B
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby warramungas » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Full stops please bud. Your posts are difficult to read without them. Or maybe its just me?
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby WTDist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:29 pm

I think he try's to get it out in one breath ace ventura style :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Plumby » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:34 pm

warramungas wrote:Full stops please bud. Your posts are difficult to read without them. Or maybe its just me?

:text-+1:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:09 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:To be honest I have tried the same method with my mash and it has been a waist of time. If you have good insulation the temperature will hold long enough for the starch to be removed from the grains. :-B

But he also want to gelatinize the corn with it... I think 10m copper coil should give decent results but you will need an agitator More meters of copper coil the more response the tun will be. I have wondered about also stillin with this setup..Brendan does something similar check out brendans bourbon thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5787
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 pm

warramungas wrote:Full stops please bud. Your posts are difficult to read without them. Or maybe its just me?

Read fine to me.

No need for grammar police :law-policered:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Rockybrewa » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:07 am

Use the pump to recirculate the mash. Does your mash tun have a ball valve assembly. I guess it would if you have a copper manifold for draining. Connect the out let to the pump and have another ball valve on the outlet of the pump to control flow. Then pump it back into the top so the 'wort' or wash will move around that way. If you need to step mash and change/keep temp use you coil on the outlet side of the pump in your old boiler and keep that boiler at the correct temp. This is a basic herms system used by beer Brewers and is cheap and easy to set up once you have the pump and some high quality silicon hose. Hope this helps
Rockybrewa

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler
2" Pot still on 50l keg boiler
T500 still (borrowed)
3V all grain beer rig
Mega jet burner

Postby Rockybrewa » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:15 am

Edit: herms = heat exchange recirculating mash system. If ya get in with a mash paddle and stir up the esky every 15 minutes for the hour you won't need any more agitation then that. I have seen no significant increase in starch convention efficiency with more stirring. Although that is from all grain beer brewing. Hope this helps. Good luck. Would love to see some photos when you complete your upgrades too
Rockybrewa

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler
2" Pot still on 50l keg boiler
T500 still (borrowed)
3V all grain beer rig
Mega jet burner

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:23 am

Mashing barley is easier then corn i think with corn a pump is going to have problems with cooking the corn a double boiler may be worth looking at the temperature does not have to be accurate just hot enough and use the esky for the mash step with the heating coil mash temperature does not have to be constant you can let it drop and bring up again just do not over heat.
wynnum1

Postby domgistimo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:15 pm

Well I'm going to go with a hot water pump and agitate it by hand..... For the first run I might use malted barley or wheat and see how I go at keeping the temp at around 65C. This weekend I was busy insulating the fermenting room and it looks like it was holding temp a lot better, I'll have to try it on a long run.
P. S I put threw a few full stops in there so you guys don't pass out reading
P. S. 2 how do you put photos on here I'm on the phone so maybe can't do it
domgistimo

Postby bluc » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:23 pm

Yep you can from phone you need to upload photos to somewhere like photobucket get the image url then use the "link" function pasting the link into your post..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby domgistimo » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:39 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eu9jgr5vxyn1ec6/20160905_204105.jpg?dl=0
My fermenting room insulated with foil insulation inside
domgistimo

Postby domgistimo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:07 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n21h3nb1eujmig/20160905_204041.jpg?dl=0
Just gotta fix that coil then test with my hlt to see if it will raise temp or hold temp
domgistimo

Postby coffe addict » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:22 pm

My phone uploads pics. I just have to text them to myself first to get them resized and saved. Then just hit the upload attachment link.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby domgistimo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:41 pm

Some pics
1473115223619.jpg

1473115223246.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
domgistimo

Next

Return to The Mash tun