Is it stuffed

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Is it stuffed

Postby Clubby677 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:26 pm

I put in a 20 lt TPW according to recipe but has been a week and air lock has dropped of no cap on wash still cloudy and did a Alc reading and was 0, is this stuffed up or do I wait or do I start with yeast again ??
Clubby677

equipment: Newbie
Keg pot still home made

Re: Is it stuffed

Postby BIG D » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Are you using a hydrometer or an alcometer? Should read around 990 on a hydrometer when finished.
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Is it fizzing? Any activity? Tpw dont have a cap.. not after one day of fermenting anyway.

Does it taste sweet? Or dry like a wine? Did you have heating for the fermenter?

Pretty foll proof recipe and method mate. But answering the above will give us a good idea of whether its stalled or not
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Clubby677 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Tastes a little sweet and heated to 25-30c as well as using both hydrometer and alcometer was 00, not a lot of movement in mash and air lock about 5sec apart real slow, I would think I would see some alcohol on the meter by now,
Clubby677

Keg pot still home made

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:14 pm

The alcometer is designed for measuring spirit, not wash...

What is the hydrometer reading? Should be under 1000
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Clubby677 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:42 pm

I will take a look when I get home, is there any thing else I need to look for
Clubby677

Keg pot still home made

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Just make sure you're reading the gravity correctly

Sg= starting gravity ( where it sits when the wash is put down
Fg= final or finishing gravity ( where it sits when it has finished fermenting)
img20140822_174117.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby crow » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Just to make it clear you can't get an accurate reading using an "alcometer" on a wash, it might seen like you should but you can't. If it have been fermenting for a week heated most likely it is finished, clearing is really not so important and may take quite a long time (some do some don't, If you think there is still some sugar left give it s good stir and a few more days :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Clubby677 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:38 pm

So this is another reason NOT to listen to HBS they said all I need is an alcometer lucky I have a hydrometer from my sea water coral tank,
It reads 1.010 nearly to the top and taste just a bit sweet so I recon from the info given hear I wait a bit longer, is this correct :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Clubby677

Keg pot still home made

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:40 pm

The alcometer might show something in a 20%ABV turbo wash, so the HBS isn't completely wrong...

Yeah, if it's showing 1010 and still bubbling, leave it for another couple of days :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby crow » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Yeah Clubby give it a stir up and let it be for a few days. I am not sure if a salt water hydrometer will be calibrated correctly for you to calculate the ABV of your wash but you can use it to tell if its finished. Check in morning and night for several days and when the gravity consistently reads the same that's it done and dusted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Clubby677 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:32 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: Checked today after I stir and now moving up the scale towards the 1.000 so should be good for a run tomorrow,
Just another Q is it worth putting a thumper on? Wanting to do bourbon in the near future putting into a barrel to age for the better stuff I get
Clubby677

Keg pot still home made

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Clubby677 wrote::handgestures-thumbupleft: Checked today after I stir and now moving up the scale towards the 1.000 so should be good for a run tomorrow,
Just another Q is it worth putting a thumper on? Wanting to do bourbon in the near future putting into a barrel to age for the better stuff I get

If you have a thumper for your pot I'd say yes, definately worth it.... a pre charge of the thumper with wash would be a winner I reckon, just run nice n slow :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Beginners Questions