Welded Element Sockets

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Welded Element Sockets

Postby WTDist » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:35 am

Im waiting on some elements and ferrules clamps and seals to come so i can get the bubbler going but i still need to buy two SS sockets for the elements 1" BSP thread.

What is the best socket to buy for 1" BSP, ill try hunt two down today and im wondering if i need to get BSP or BSPT (someone mentioned getting BSPT in another thread and use thread tape) and how long do the sockets need to be.

Where is best place to find them also, bolts and fasteners shop or other?

Once i have these sockets and the ferrules i can get the boiler to the welder asap. :D

Cheers
WTD
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Welded Element Sockets

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:41 am

Get it from your welder. I was a tight ass. Bought one and cut it in half. The threads on the elements are only a couple of threads long. And get BSPP.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:02 am

maddogpearse wrote:Get it from your welder. I was a tight ass. Bought one and cut it in half. The threads on the elements are only a couple of threads long. And get BSPP.

I cut one in half too.
Careful to place them so that the elements don't clash
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby WTDist » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:25 am

Chweers guys. what is a good length for the socket if i get a choice in length? 25-50mm? Just wondering but what does BSPP do thats better? (i know nothing lol)

ill ring the welder today
WTDist

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:13 am

BSPP is British standard pipe parallel. Meaning it uses the seal on the elements to seal. BSPT is the same thread but tapered so as you screw in it seals on the thread (with the help of some thread tape)
Elements are a parallel thread, but some nipples elbows etc will be tapered. Both will seal into a parallel female.
I used 50mm cut in two.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC

Postby WTDist » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:18 am

Cheers man, helps heaps.

been to the welder this morning and happy with the price. they had a keg in the shop so i could show and explain what i wanted, made it easier. one guy said i know what your doing and laughed, said 2 cartons :))
$80 for a 4" ferrule still mount and 2 * 1" sockets for elements and they drill the holes :D im inverting the keg and using the old 2" as a drain in the bottom :handgestures-thumbupleft:

They want me to get the 1" sockets and i found a guy that has some for $10 each but ill get 2 as they are 41mm long in BSPP.

unless you think 20mm is enough for an element and get one? or go two sockets at 41mm long just to be safe?

Going to get the keg in as soon as the 4" ferrule comes, might even get them to weld the other ferrules on to some SS plate for the thumper when im at that stage.

Im excited :D
WTDist

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:46 am

20mm should be fine. If you can, add the fill port. They're a good investment.
Also thought about legs for it?
maddogpearse

Postby coffe addict » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Hey wt, care to share who's doing the welding and where you found the 1in female bspp?

I should be receiving some shiny bits soon too. :dance:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby WTDist » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:54 pm

i have 3 * 4" ferrules coming with my gear. i could put a fill port on but i will dissemble and reassemble each time i run it so i dont think it will matter if i have a fill port but it has been playing on my mind. My stills going to be south of me 2+ hours at the inlaws property so it wont be set up when not in use so i can use the still mount to fill it when i get it out then assemble the still on top.

as for legs i have no idea what to do yet. i dont know if it will be on concrete, paving or uneven dirt. theres a lot of possibilities on where to still there but im not sure on where yet. if i set up near a massive tank it will be on uneven ground. or another on even ground, or next to the pool is flat. I was thinking i could make something and bolt it on later when i know what im doing, i figure i can bolt something onto the handles part of the keg after its done which will still be there but on the bottom as it will be upside down.

being inverted im thinking now i should perhaps leave it for the moment and cut a part out so a 1" drain can come out of the 2" ferrule. If i still on concrete or flat ground i would say i will do just this as i i think it should have just enough room underneath for a small drain. 90 degree bend out of a 2" cap going to the side with a valve should fit i reckon. if i find it unstable i will do something about it.

for now, $80 for a keg boiler is looking real nice :D
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:59 pm

coffe addict wrote:Hey wt, care to share who's doing the welding and where you found the 1in female bspp?

I should be receiving some shiny bits soon too. :dance:

yea man, i went to https://www.kennedywelding.com.au/
i didnt ring, i walked in and explained what i was after. there was a keg in there so i could point and give them a visual which made it easier.

the BSPP fittings i rang (after going to a few places who had none) https://www.valvesonline.com.au/ over near masters at tingalpa.he said they have quite a few, not many but enough i think. over 5 so i hope they still have some by the time i go monday :pray:

the bolt shop and hardware wholesale up the road from them (woolangabba) didnt have any, only brass and something else. did try locally first.
WTDist

Postby coffe addict » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks Wt.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Carbonator » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:54 am

Midway Metals for everything SS (except the very thin bererage tubing) - Yatala - you wont be disappointed.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/uv?hl=en ... S-11wXHkmQ
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Postby WTDist » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:38 am

Been out there. they gave me my thumper quote. good price on plasma cut 3mm ss plate but not good on seals or clamps.
WTDist

Postby Carbonator » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:40 pm

WTDist wrote:not good on seals or clamps.

Because they would buy them in - so did you find out where from?
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Return to Beginners Questions