Learning flavour profiles

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Learning flavour profiles

Postby Mormash » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:45 pm

I had planned on experimenting with different grain bills in order to hopefully find some flavours that I like however as I'm new to all this I can see that I won't really know which grain is contributing to which particular flavour.

Instead of experimenting with different grain bills, would it make sense to mash and distill the individual base malts one at a time and then blend the different distillates together in order to gain a better understanding of how these flavours work with one another? If it works then it would take a lot of the time and cost out of experimenting with different grain bills.
Would mixing (for example) 30% pilsner malt, 30% marris otter and 40% peated malt (in distillate) be exactly the same as doing one single mash with those grains at the same ratio?
Mormash

equipment: 4" Plated Column Still with 5 bubble tee's and gin caddy
50l boiler
3 vessel herms brewing system
5 x 60l fermenters

Re: Learning flavour profiles

Postby bluc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:07 pm

I have been told its a good way to get repeatable results and is what I am going to try with peated/non peated grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Learning flavour profiles

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:22 pm

That’s really interesting. Thanks for posting this thread, I wouldn’t have thought of doing this otherwise.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Return to Beginners Questions