TPW - High Final SG

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

TPW - High Final SG

Postby 62woollybugger » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:54 pm

My last TPW ferment stopped after about 4-5 days & is at an SG of around 1010. We had a couple of warm days & I forgot to turn off the heater & the wash got to about 36*C, not sure if that was hot enough to kill the Lowans yeast or not.
Should I dump it or just go ahead & run it through the still anyway?
62woollybugger

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: TPW - High Final SG

Postby dans.brew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Certainly dont chuck it... if you run it it just wont yield as much since it hasnt fermented fully. You should be able to get it below 1.000 usually. Are you sure it has stopped fermenting... they do slow down towards the end? Air locks arent always accurate either.
36 deg is getting up there for bakers, but i run my rum washes around that temp with no probs... bakers is pretty tough yeast. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby crikko » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm only new to this, but I've been tasting mine. Can definitely tell the difference when the sugar is all gone. Tastes a bit like dry ginger all (the bad kirks version) with a tomato paste after taste.

Would adding a dash more yeast kick it back into gear?
crikko

equipment: Turbo 500 s/s

Postby YarraRanges » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am

Since doubling the amount of tomato paste in a 200 litre TPW I've never had a stuck ferment.
The recipe is:
55Kg sugar
4Kg tomato paste
100g of DAP and another 100g after 3 days
100g EC1118 yeast
30g Epsom salts
Thumb nail size dob of butter. Yeast needs cholesterol to build it's cell walls.
Aerate the the wash for one hour with a stone to get the bubbles really small.
Pitch the yeast at 30C. The yeast will multiply about 3 times as it uses up the oxygen. This saves about $20 in yeast cost.
The ferment should take about a week and should finish at 0.985 SG.
Wait another week for the yeast to settle and then run it.
There's no need to filter it. You should end up with a very clean neutral that makes a great base for gin, absinthe, limoncello or anything else you can think of.
If you scale this recipe down to suit the size of your fermenter you should not have another stuck ferment.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:43 pm

YarraRanges wrote:Since doubling the amount of tomato paste in a 200 litre TPW I've never had a stuck ferment.
The recipe is:
55Kg sugar
4Kg tomato paste
100g of DAP and another 100g after 3 days
100g EC1118 yeast
30g Epsom salts
Thumb nail size dob of butter. Yeast needs cholesterol to build it's cell walls.
Aerate the the wash for one hour with a stone to get the bubbles really small.
Pitch the yeast at 30C. The yeast will multiply about 3 times as it uses up the oxygen. This saves about $20 in yeast cost.
The ferment should take about a week and should finish at 0.985 SG.
Wait another week for the yeast to settle and then run it.
There's no need to filter it. You should end up with a very clean neutral that makes a great base for gin, absinthe, limoncello or anything else you can think of.
If you scale this recipe down to suit the size of your fermenter you should not have another stuck ferment.

That seems like a lot of sugar for a 200lt wash,I use 36kg in 180lt wich is 200gr sugar per liter,or 6kg per 25-30lt batch.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
Last edited by hillzabilly on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby 62woollybugger » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I left it to settle, planing to run it through the still this week, then this morning it started to bubble through the airlock again.
62woollybugger

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby dans.brew » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:05 pm

62woollybugger wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I left it to settle, planing to run it through the still this week, then this morning it started to bubble through the airlock again.

Washes can do some funny things sometimes, especially if the temp jumps around a lot.
There not always finished when you think they are either... it pays to check the gravity a few times (with molasses washes being an exception).
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Return to Beginners Questions