Safspirit American whiskey yeast USW-6

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Safspirit American whiskey yeast USW-6

Postby Matt_Pl » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

In order to improve me home brew I’ve switched from the old bakers yeast to USW-6.

I normally brew in old olive drums with a wash of about 210 litres.

The ujssm recipe will be 35 kgs corn, 35 kgs of sugar for the first generation.

I’ve found a data sheet on USW-6 yeast and the dosage is 30-50 grams per Hl so my initial yeast addition is going to be around 100 grams.

The Darwin temperature average atm is around 28-30 so the wash should be safe outside. Should I be ok to do the above as planned and run multiple gens?

Thanks everyone !!

Cheers

Matt!
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: Safspirit American whiskey yeast USW-6

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:07 am

looks fine to me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Safspirit American whiskey yeast USW-6

Postby danwbrews » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 am

At the amount you are doing the ATM should be fine , but if the temps fall too low for too long you could have problems. Any one doing a smaller amounts need to know that yeast don't like more than an 8 F degree drop in a 24hr period. They could fall out and could possibly not resume when the temps come back up. You will be fine due to the amount you are using. Those using smaller amounts need to remember this and not ferment outside without insulation or enough thermal mass to keep the temp change from varying more than 8F in a 24 hr.

Just a note for newbies to fermenting, yeast like stable temps.
Dan
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Return to Beginners Questions