Need some Advice ( Pot Still Alembic Dome and Condenser)

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Need some Advice ( Pot Still Alembic Dome and Condenser)

Postby Lexanium » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:25 am

Hey everyone, i hope this doesn't make too many people facepalm :doh:

Im running a t500 with the Pot Still Alembic Dome and Condenser.
alembic_600x600.jpg

Its a basic beginner setup but for now its all i can afford to own. Ive gotten pretty good at getting what i can out of it but i could use some advice.

My main concern is that when i run my rum wash the condenser seems to struggle. It seems to me that there's too much output for such a small condenser. (sometimes my product gets hot and there's nothing i can do to cool it as the actual condenser is cold as ice)
Ive decided the first step is to install some temperature control on the t500. pretty straight forward. Ive found this which i would love someones experienced opinion on.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4000W-220V-AC-SCR-Motor-Speed-Controller-Module-Voltage-Regulator-Dimmer-/272270215288?oid=170963635395

My next idea was to possibly upgrade or add in more in the way of condensers. I understand that typically pot stills only have one condenser but is it completely wrong to have two as Ive seen on other stills?
The kicker is i want to make all my parts myself and for as little as possible. so if anyone has any great ideas, or is there has been a thread before (i have searched alot) please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lexanium

equipment: t500 With pot still top. A pretty basic setup for now while i learn my craft. taking my time to do it right. other than the still most things are put together from bits and pieces Ive gathered from op-shops.

Re: Need some Advice ( Pot Still Alembic Dome and Condenser)

Postby Cadmoon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:42 am

The voltage regulator will help smooth out the heating and slow it down so you can slowly increase the heat and thus output.
You could also build a worm tub to help your condenser out, try and get your hands on some ac pair coil that hasn't been used and go from there.
Cadmoon

equipment: Home made pelican with shotgun condenser on a t500 with alembic dome.

Postby Lexanium » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:10 am

Cadmoon wrote:The voltage regulator will help smooth out the heating and slow it down so you can slowly increase the heat and thus output.
You could also build a worm tub to help your condenser out, try and get your hands on some ac pair coil that hasn't been used and go from there.

Yeah thats pretty much the idea ive been working through. just adding a wormtub between my output pipe and condenser. why do you recommend the ac pair coil? wouldnt its insulation reduce its efficiency transferring into the water?

Thanks for the advice mate
Lexanium

equipment: t500 With pot still top. A pretty basic setup for now while i learn my craft. taking my time to do it right. other than the still most things are put together from bits and pieces Ive gathered from op-shops.

Postby Cadmoon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:39 am

Depending on your budget it's a fairly cheap way to get annealed copper pipe. It's very steady to work with and already in a coil. You would cut the insulation off, it's just a sleeve so a slot down the door and it falls off in one big piece.
Cadmoon

equipment: Home made pelican with shotgun condenser on a t500 with alembic dome.

Postby deryn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:54 am

I'm running the same set-up. It runs way way too fast without a power controller, there is so much smearing and the product comes out hot! I don't think they should sell that dome without including a power controller. I bought the Kegland power controller form 5 Star, that fixed everything. I run it at about 90% for stripping runs (so the low wines come out about room temperature, instead of hot). And I run it at about 50% for spirit runs.

https://www.5stardistilling.com.au/product/power-controller-kegland/
deryn

equipment: .
SS T500
SS Alembic Pot

Postby Cadmoon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:12 pm

That's good to know, might get away without the worm. 2400w is quite a lot for such a small boiler but I guess it w designed to boil water and not act as a still
Cadmoon

Postby The Stig » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Cadmoon wrote: 2400w is quite a lot for such a small boiler but I guess it w designed to boil water and not act as a still

The old units were 2000W and the newer units are 1800W
https://stillspirits.com/products/turbo-500-still
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Lexanium » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:51 pm

deryn wrote:I'm running the same set-up. It runs way way too fast without a power controller, there is so much smearing and the product comes out hot! I don't think they should sell that dome without including a power controller. I bought the Kegland power controller form 5 Star, that fixed everything. I run it at about 90% for stripping runs (so the low wines come out about room temperature, instead of hot). And I run it at about 50% for spirit runs.

https://www.5stardistilling.com.au/product/power-controller-kegland/

Thanks for the tip mate! Helps that it looks like something i could pull out of an old Russian ww2 tank haha Definitely tickles my pickle
Lexanium

Return to Beginners Questions