Low Wines and Feints

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Low Wines and Feints

Postby Natjac » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 am

Hi all,

Just wondering about the value of an all feints run or to mix them in with stripped low wines for a spirit run or to just dispose of them entirely?

I have a 2" boka that I use to strip and then add about a 1m packed extension to do the spirit run. I have about 15 litres of feints from previous spirit runs which have included TPW, FFV and Kale washes. I currently have about 6 litres of stripped low wines (approx 70% ABV) and am wondering if it would be better to run the feints in with the low wines or just a feints run alone?

In my previous spirit runs I was fairly conservative in my cuts selections. I ended up with about 8-9 litres of finished product and ended up keeping about 5 and the rest went into the feints. I am wondering as to how much would be worth keeping after another spirit run or am I just wasting my time with the feints and should just stick to the stripping and spirit runs that I have been doing up until now?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Natjac.
Natjac

equipment: 5 star Pot Still
Boka Reflux Still
50L Keg Boiler

Re: Low Wines and Feints

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Run them and find out...
Myself I've never bothered with saving feints from a neutral run.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Natjac » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:08 pm

That’s certainly the definitive way to find out!!!
Natjac

Boka Reflux Still
50L Keg Boiler

Postby db1979 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:00 pm

coffe addict wrote:Run them and find out...
Myself I've never bothered with saving feints from a neutral run.

I don't bother anymore either. I figure the return isn't worth it when putting on a new sugar wash is so cheap and you get so much product.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby PeterC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:17 pm

I did an all feints run some time ago and didn't get a yield that I thought was worth the effort in terms of collecting final hearts but the next time I had some feints I threw them in with a stripping run and I thought this improved my collection volume without adding much more heads or tails. So this is my approach now to add previous feints to the next strip. I always remove foreshots even on stripping runs to minimize these as much as possible.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby woodduck » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:41 am

I put my faints in with the next run. I do throw the first heads jar after the faints though as I thought they were starting to stack up and I was getting more heads than I wanted.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Natjac » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:21 am

Thanks for the replies!

I've now got another stripped run of FFV so I might delay the decision and run the two runs as a spirit run and think about when I will run the feints. I think I might do a feints only run and see what I get out of it (if anything). My rationale is that if I run the feints with no expectations, anything I get will be a bonus and I won't feel as if I've wasted a stripped wash for little return.

The only real downside is storing the feints and finding the time for an 'experimental' run.

Cheers.
Natjac

Boka Reflux Still
50L Keg Boiler

Return to Beginners Questions