Digiboil WBAB wash

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Digiboil WBAB wash

Postby shadow74 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:35 am

Hi just chasing a little clarity and Advice And fill in a couple of Blanks , i have 2 35ltr digiboils and was going to give 2 Wbab washes ago
This is what i am thinking , this is for each digiboil, 5? Ltrs water bring temp up to dissolve 5 Kg of sugar , add a 3 cups of crushed weet_bix and i have 340g of Bran sitting in the pantry , so i was going to split that between the Digiboils and simmer for ???? then top up with cold water to around the 22 ltr mark add 1 teaspoon citic acid one? vit B and 1.5 teaspoon of epsome salts hopefully it will sit around 27 degrees , Pitch 80 gr of lowans yeast ,
is this a good plan , i have read the Easy WBAB Recipe but i am unsure if you get a ph dive so do i need some shells or Buffer of some type?

I appreciate all advice given
This is in preparation on receiving my Combo Boka Reflux Tower (Upgrade on my PD RX still ) next week , i do have a turbo wash ready for the sacrificial run, if there is any advice running this i would appreciate it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shadow74 on Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadow74

equipment: No equipment, still looking at what i need

Re: Digiboil WBAB wash

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:53 pm

1 - dont ferment in the digiboils, use a fermenter
2 - you really dont need the citric acid and epsom salts, they are just PH bufers
3 - Give Gowit a call and ask him how to run that still
Edit to add: 4 - stop believing everything you see on facebook
Last edited by The Stig on Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby MarkChap » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:47 pm

Can't help with any advice on your process, just wanted to say thanks for the photo, I can now see how that still works as a "combo" still
MarkChap

equipment: Built a 50mm CCVM, 1mt column, I think I am working it out
Gas powered Keg as a Boiler,

Postby shadow74 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:47 am

Hey Stig i am just curious, why would u not ferment in a digiboil? With the temp control and has the lid that is fitted with the bubbler,
Cheers
shadow74

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:39 am

Because you will be constantly cooking the ferment rather just letting it do its thing.
The element will be turning on and off to heat up as needed cooking the yeast bed.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby shadow74 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:57 pm

So the vessel its self is ok as long as you don't use the heater
Cheers for that
shadow74

Postby cjhero » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:50 pm

Most people have several ferments going on ay the same time, if they were to ferment in their kettle it would stop you working on multiple batches.

The other issue is you're going to have a bunch of gunk at the bottom of your fermentation take that you don't want in your boiler. If you leave it in their it will scorch on the bottom of the digiboil and ruin the taste of your spirit. Everyone seems to make this mistake once.
cjhero

equipment: Bubble column

Return to Beginners Questions