bitter rum

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

bitter rum

Postby rash » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi all, I'm new here and new to using a still. I have just run my first batch of rum over the weekend through a second hand pot still that i picked up a few weeks ago. I used mac stills rum recipe and did a stripping and spirit run off the first barrel fermented. As being new to it all, i kept the middle third of the spirit run as a hearts estimate and the rest was put away to run through the still again down the track. I have let it air out for about 3 days now and thought i would sample it to see how it is going. It has a very bitter after taste, almost like chewed up mandarin seeds... is this due to not taking prosper cuts (which i will try next time)? Or will aging take out the bitterness? Had no idea of what was a normal taste for unaged rum.
Thanks heaps
Ash
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

bitter rum

Postby Dominator » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Young rum will taste pretty crap, it gets a lot better with age. My first rum was terrible for the first 6 weeks. Then it started to get better.

As for cuts, you can't really just take the middle third. You really need to taste and smell to find where to cut. If you have not done so already, have a read through the guid to cuts in the newbie section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Re: bitter rum

Postby Sam. » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm

A better place for your first post is here mate ;-)

Never made rum but buy all accounts yeah apparently you have to be fairly die hard to drink it unaged :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby rash » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Dominator wrote:Young rum will taste pretty crap, it gets a lot better with age. My first rum was terrible for the first 6 weeks. Then it started to get better.

As for cuts, you can't really just take the middle third. You really need to taste and smell to find where to cut. If you have not done so already, have a read through the guid to cuts in the newbie section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ahh, so i have to wait a while, damn!
yeah, i spent a week reading through all the newbie section and thought i might just "get a feel" for the still first before anything else. maybe i should water the whole lot down to 40% and run it through again taking propper cuts? have already got the 2nd gen bubbling away.
Thanks
Ash
rash

Postby rash » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:46 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:A better place for your first post is here mate ;-)

Never made rum but buy all accounts yeah apparently you have to be fairly die hard to drink it unaged :laughing-rolling:

yeh, maybe i should have jumped in there to introduce my self first :oops:
you would have to be pretty die hard to enjoy mine at the moment! took a taste and thought you were all mad for bagging bundy in favour for the home made gear! :)) a learning process i spose.
Thanks
Ash
rash

Return to Beginners Questions