Registering your still, does anyone actually do this?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Registering your still, does anyone actually do this?

Postby Summie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi there people,

I was reading the topic about "starting a micro distillery" as I am kind of interested; I starting reading every thing on the ATO website and found that any still over 5 liters needs to be or should be registered.
Now I'm in the middle of building a 4" copper modular bubble cap, and will be making in the future a 6" of the same (all ready have the 6"copper etc to do it). My boiler is a 50L keg as most of us hobby types seem to run and my 6" will be aprox 100L. After all that who actually has registered their still? I'm assuming no one. I only produce product for myself, but say for what ever reason police came to house an seen I had a still that's 100L and also one at 50L, is there a line at what is too big for you own use?

Cheers look forward to the replays.
Summie

equipment: Pura distilling reflux and boiler, 2.5" stripping pot still.
4" modular 4 plate bubble cap with 50 litre keg boiler.

Re: Registering your still, does anyone actually do this?

Postby the Doctor » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:21 pm

Yes as a commercial distiller I have a registered still... Because I also do reviews of stills and tests for manufacurers I have to make sure that even these short term loan stills are accounted for by keeping a paper trail or getting a letter of request from the manufacturer that I test the pre - production still. OIbviously you would never contemplate registration if not licensed. But for me it is an essential, as when I am audited they have the right to close off my property, saerch cars, hold anyone, and have access to anywhere they wish...If found with an unregistered still ...it is sufficient to have your licenced revoked. That is cause to register. However once registered you cannot sell the still without first getting apermission to transfer the still to the new licensed owner...A PITA but that is just how they roll.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby karrotbear » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:43 pm

I have been pondering the same thing (about police rocking up).

Back in the day when I went to the HBS to first explore stilling, I asked about the trusty T500 and its associated 25l boiler. They guy said that you can claim that the boiler is a crab pot, and then have a 4l stock pot somewhere that can fit the T500. Would you be able to get away with that (iff you had no home distilled alch anywhere on your property) and just say you use it for water?

When it comes to our hobby type stills (home made) we all pretty much have a 50L boiler (probably a keg) and then the 2" pot/vm/bubbler connecting onto it. Is there anyway that you could say the keg is for mashing/fermenting - even though you have the 2" ferrules welded onto the side for heaters - and then just have your 4l pot off to the side. And when they point out that it can fit onto the keg (triclamp connection) you play dumb and say 'oh wow, never thought of that'. Is there anyway for them to prove, if your modular still was completely dismantled, that the still was used on the 50L boiler and not the 4l pot?

When it says that the still cannot have a capacity of more than 5L, it alludes that the still is the complete package. What if you are caught with a still head (be it a bubbler/vm/pot WITHOUT a boiler) is it still classified as a still? What about a (somewhat very simple) continuous still sitting on a 4l pot, is it still a 4l capacity (seeing as that is how much the pot can hold) or can they say it has an infinite capacity?

tl;dr - Still head without a boiler still a still?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby Summie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Nice doc, cheers I understand a bit more now, only if you are a licenced you have too. It just illegal for anyone else lol oh well.
Happy Distilling. :music-deathmetal: :text-lol: :teasing-neener: :greetings-waveyellow:
Summie

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 pm

and if you resister your still they r gonna be knocking at your door wanting excise on any alcohol you have made.

as far as I am aware the police wont give two squirts about having a still, or running a still. its customs that would care. and they have more power then police, ie police would need a warrant to come into your house and find your still. customs officers can rock up and fist you.

and its good to keep in mind that what we do is technically illegal. I am not aware of any hobbyists being in trouble for distilling. its those that sell always get caught.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby the Doctor » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Well put Andy...basically only register if you alredy have a license...anything else will result in serious bad stuff going down....If you are a hobbyist discretion is the only path to follow.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Summie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:55 pm

All good advice, cheers guys. :music-deathmetal:
Summie

Postby crow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:29 pm

:text-+1: registering a still you can't legally use might be pushing the envelope a bit to far
Last edited by crow on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 pm

These types of topics always make me cringe :angry-banghead:

Keep a low profile, dont sell, yell or tell.... just as safe as being legal.... almost ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby the Doctor » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:46 pm

I am totally with you there Mac. registering is the domain of commercial, licenced distillers...no one else. So please do not even consider it unless you have a license in hand.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Distillnation » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:23 am

Andy wrote: its customs that would care. and they have more power then police, ie police would need a warrant to come into your house and find your still. customs officers can rock up and fist you.

A bit off topic here, but this just cracked me up :lol:
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby crow » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:10 pm

mightn't find it so funny if ya had a bunch of these nazi's on ya property kicking your shit all over the place
They got powers don't worry about that, these are the same jackbooters that can roll up on a building site and because some little poofa kicked ya sign over last night that displays ya Lic. No and tell ya that you are liable for for some astronomical fine and can have ya licence revoked, don't fuck with these c___s
Just sayin
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Beginners Questions