Testing SG in sealed buckets

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby FireKitty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:48 am

Hi guys,

I currently have 2 TPW's going in 15 liter buckets with airlocks, and I'm wondering when exactly it'll be finished and how I test (day 6 atm). There's a bit of mixed information out there about just going by the activity in the airlock, and while I'm tempted to test the SG in a few days I'm worried about doing so, as I don't have a tap affixed to the buckets therefore I would need to open one - exposing the wash to fresh air, which I hear is a no-no.

What's the best way to go?

Cheers!
FireKitty
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Re: Testing SG in sealed buckets

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:18 pm

You're going to distill it so any nasty bacteria you introduce now is going to be killed. Since its day 6 your fermentation should be just about over, leave it a few more days and then run it. If you do open it to do an sg reading then it won't really harm it so long as you don't leave it for ages before running it.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:22 pm

I didn't think that taking the lid off of a fermenter (just to check temps etc, not long term...) was detrimental?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Kimbo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I didn't think that taking the lid off of a fermenter (just to check temps etc, not long term...) was detrimental?

It's not mate ;-)
Taking the lid off will be just fine, you will have a layer of CO2 on top of the wash that will protect it for the short term.
If it were me, I'd Take the lid off one, put the hydrometer in it and seal the bucket back up with a layer of gladwrap.
that way you can see look the bucket and see the hydro. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
edit: just poke 1 or 2 holes in the wrap with a tooth pick :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Cheers Kimbo... I pull the lid off of my fermenter every couple of days to check temp and SG, so I hope it's alright!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:11 pm

I don't even bother with lids for my neutral washes, I just do what Kimbo said and go the gladwrap. I'm careful what happens to my bwko fermenters though, I use lids with them. But even then I don't bother taking SG readings (in fact I have never taken an SG reading on any fermentation, even beer), just leave it long enough to let it clear and then run it through the still.

I like the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:36 pm

I would say don't test until day 10 when it's almost certain to be done.

Better yet wait 12 days for it to clear up and don't bother testing and just run it.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:41 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Better yet wait 12 days for it to clear up and don't bother testing and just run it.

:text-+1:
db1979

Postby drunkmore » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:54 am

My air lock on my new fermenter dosent work. (Bubble that is). I think the lid dosent seal so I was testing my SG's every day. Not suggesting it was a good idea but it worked fine and finished with a nice 0995.
I don't think if you minimise the time it's open it will do any harm.

On top of that like was said befor, you are going to distill it and after six days your yeast has done most of its expanding and is going to be strong enough to resist ordinary air born yeasts and bugs. Just don't let in any pesky flies, the can drink a lot of you good wash real quick.
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Return to Beginners Questions