Port Keg for Rum

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Port Keg for Rum

Postby syncro » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Ive got a 20lt port keg, thats still half full of port, good condition, had port in it for 10 years or so since new.

Since I dont drink that much port anymore, and the ex Linnys bubbler (that I need a name for) seems to be able to crank out copious quantities of rum, I thought that redesignating the port keg could be a good idea. But what should I do to prepare it? , and should I wait till I have enough rum to fill it in one hit?

The problem with these size kegs for port is it ends up overoaked, since the surface area/volume is way greater than a 200lt barrel, so you need to turn the port over pretty quickly to keep a goos product, dont think thats going to be a problem with rum
syncro

equipment: Got a bubbler, thanks Linny!

Re: Port Keg for Rum

Postby Kimbo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Mate, honestly... ditch the port, a quick rinse and fillerup with Rum.
The port/ red wine notes in a Rum are really quite nice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:33 pm

I can't comment on rum but I know you don't reall want to put whisky on port or it tastes too much like port.

If you feel adventurous give this a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby syncro » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:47 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:I can't comment on rum but I know you don't reall want to put whisky on port or it tastes too much like port.

If you feel adventurous give this a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Kn hell! x_x

What could possibly go wrong?
Ah well, a few months ago I didnt think I would be trying to make a drinkable rum, dismissed the idea after tasting hbs/turbo/essecence shit, then I stumbled across you guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
syncro

Postby MacStill » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Kimbo wrote:Mate, honestly... ditch the port, a quick rinse and fillerup with Rum.
The port/ red wine notes in a Rum are really quite nice :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This is so true, and the port has already drawn most of the tannins out so your rum ends up yummyrum :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby syncro » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:06 pm

MacStill wrote:
Kimbo wrote:Mate, honestly... ditch the port, a quick rinse and fillerup with Rum.

This is so true, and the port has already drawn most of the tannins out so your rum ends up yummyrum :laughing-rolling:

Well thats good enough for me, though I think I'll wait till I see less dramatic improvements between runs before I start throwing it in.
syncro

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:08 pm

After 10 years surely you would be just sucking up the port remnants and getting bugger all benefit from the oak itself :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Not really, the Rum is a lighter liquid than the Port ( higher ABV) there fore will soak deeper into the timber.
the Oak Staves that I use are Pale grey shitty old things and still work like their brand new :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Beginners Questions