My BWKO and rum washes with questions

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

My BWKO and rum washes with questions

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:59 pm

So I've picked up 2 x 70l olive barrels and decided to put down a rum and a whiskey. I followed Macs recipes to the t. I haven't pitched the yeast as they are both a bit hot still. My drama is that (&I probably shouldn't have bothered and wouldn't otherwise known)I checked the PH and SG. the rum I did first SG pretty good but PH was 5.5 I put bit by bit all the citric acid in I had 75gm seemed a lot and still only got it to 4.9. Then checked the whiskey and it is 5.2. Should I go with it at that. I have no more citric acid. Is there anything else I can use. I have lemon juice in a bottle or oranges but no lemons. Can someone help as I want to get it started.Also how much yeast for 50 liter wash
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Re: My BWKO and rum washes with questions

Postby bluess57 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:27 pm

IMO I wouldn't stress about the PH ... Just pitch yeast and let it do its thing
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby greenguy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Mate IMHO
I think you are looking into thing too much just put it down and go with the flow
u can read every thing watch every thing but at the end of the day u just gota get knee deep and get into it
there is no right or wrong and sometimes things arn't in your control wack it down and enjoy the learning curve :handgestures-thumbupleft: i have never once bothered with ph
and i check the sg at the start and at the finish but i could happly make it with out a sg reading

If ya got the right amount of ingredients and ya pitch at a happy temp 25c-30c things are clean she should be all go
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:44 pm

that seems like a ton of acid to put in. generally a bit, then measure after while, then a bit more. as far as i know the drop wont be instant (but i could be very wrong with that)

yeah its probably a little high, but it will still ferment out. and then when you use the backset it will lower it so happy days. it will work fine. is it optimal no, but my TPW wash sat outside in the cold shed at night in the middle of winter and still worked
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby 1 2many » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:56 pm

greenguy wrote:Mate IMHO
I think you are looking into thing too much just put it down and go with the flow
u can read every thing watch every thing but at the end of the day u just gota get knee deep and get into it
there is no right or wrong and sometimes things arn't in your control wack it down and enjoy the learning curve :handgestures-thumbupleft: i have never once bothered with ph
and i check the sg at the start and at the finish but i could happly make it with out a sg reading

If ya got the right amount of ingredients and ya pitch at a happy temp 25c-30c things are clean she should be all go

:text-+1: Agreed just do it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Righto thanks they were the answers I was hoping for. What about the yeast. I think I read somewhere the it doesn't need to be doubled with a double batch. so how much.
newbiboozer

Postby 1 2many » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

newbiboozer wrote:Righto thanks they were the answers I was hoping for. What about the yeast. I think I read somewhere the it doesn't need to be doubled with a double batch. so how much.

If you airate your wash well the yeast will multiply enough to do the job.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby newbiboozer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:08 pm

I got up this morning and put some yeast in both the rum Foamed s little to start with but then dropped down. the whiskey whiskey fired straight away but after an hour and s bit still no activity in the air lock. have gone out for the day now so will see.
newbiboozer

Postby newbiboozer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm proud to announce that my first rum and BWKO washes are bubbling away beautifully. No real violent start with the rum maybe cos I pitched the yeast at 25 degrees. Anyway I'm proud as punch and can't wait to run these through my bubbler. Got some pressure to get some booze ready for Christmas might have to get some aeration happening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
newbiboozer

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:56 pm

sweet mate!
im hoping to have some for christmas as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Return to Beginners Questions