Regulating stil

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Regulating stil

Postby SBB » Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 pm

Aint even going there..........been wrong before.
SAAAAAAAMMMMMMM your wanted!
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Well from your thank you, you should probably pack the column with palm leaves and tourists :laughing-rolling:

But in all seriousness you need to grind the tourists to the correct gauge ;-)

But really, its all about the surface area, anyone that has read a few of the actually helpful books out there (as apposed to a heap of bullshit) will tell you marbles are pretty crap for packing :handgestures-thumbdown: Having said that with the height of the column we had and running it SLOW we could achieve 95%.

You can upgrade to all sorts of crazy and wonderful things that will give you more surface area, the one I would avoid is the rashig (or rashid? or some shit?) rings that a home brew shop will sell you, yes they have good surface area but you might as well bend over at the counter for the price.

My best suggestion is structured copper mesh from the Amphora Society. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So much typing, need a drink :))
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby CBrewH60 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 am

Heh. Yeah. If you can't tell, I am from Hawaii (in the US). I work in the same office as C2H60 at Uni, although we work on drastically different things. Appreciate the response and I am looking into available materials to exchange with the marbles. Will keep you all posted on the details.
CBrewH60

equipment: C6H20's Still

Postby FireKitty » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Hey C2H60, got your reference to this post, have a few questions now...

did you keep the marbles or switch to SS scrubbers?
Were you able to achieve full reflux?
What mods did you make, and did they help?
Did you figure out a rough guide by temp for cutting heads/hearts/tails?

All in all, did you have much luck with your still after reading the above comments? Seeing as I have the same one, am looking to get it right :)
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Postby C2H6O » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi FireKitty,
Unfortunately i cant throw much more light your way about the still because i decided to take a saw to mine and have a bit of a tinker. Here is another link with the mods i have been making viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3914&p=64779#p64779. Since starting this however i haven't found any spare time and as such im still left with half the project (Thinking about it now has got me keen, so maybe next weekend)

Cutting mine up was prob a bit of a rushed judgement though as i was given a lot of positive advice, but i wanted to get my hands dirty.

As my thread said i achieved aprox 87% with mine but think you could do better if you ran it slow.. My advice would be give it a go and make a call depending on how happy you are with the product.

Cheers
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions