Learning The Cuts

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Learning The Cuts

Postby 1 2many » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:30 pm

It seems that there are quite a few different ways of going about doing the cuts , i suppose i just need to find the most suitable way for my own preference the first thing is i will take some notes this time , and try and pick one or two of the methods previously mentioned to start with .

All very helpful info guys very much appreciated . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby SBB » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Usually when cutting I mix samples from the different jars 50/50 with water in shot glasses. One in front of each jar, Ive read a few times around the traps that even more water helps. Today I tried 2 parts water 1 part spirit when cutting a rum run. Dunno but it seemed to make the job a whole lot easier,both in tasting and smelling.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Fatherjack wrote:Ive found that if after airing I tip the cut jar Im judging into a separate jar, the smell left in the empty cut jar is a far better indication than just smelling the full cut jar. Once judged it goes in blending pot or fients jar

:handgestures-thumbupleft: I like the sound of this approach, I'm going to give it a go!
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby tipsy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:38 am

SBB wrote:Today I tried 2 parts water 1 part spirit when cutting a rum run. Dunno but it seemed to make the job a whole lot easier,both in tasting and smelling.

I find this easier for my senses as well.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Muppet » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:24 am

A big thanks to everyone involved in this thread, helped me quite a bit. Cheers all :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions