storage

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

storage

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Anyone know where to get the little taps like on the vessel pete posted? Mine broke off..
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Re: storage

Postby Lil Pete » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 am

I know there's two sizes a gold colour and silver colour I think home brew shops sell them
Lil Pete

equipment: turbo 500

Postby invisigoth » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:15 am

Urrazeb wrote:Anyone know where to get the little taps like on the vessel pete posted? Mine broke off..

i don't know if they have the same thread, but ibrew sells small taps for oak barrels. these are small enough to fit a 5l jobbie
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby Sam. » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Lil Pete wrote:This is the new 11litre one has a heaps better tap and a lid seal
Was about 70 bucks delivered

Got one of these delivered the other day, too bad I was at work as the missus unwrapped it then proceeded to drop the lid on the tile floor and smashed it into a million pieces :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I emailed them with a bullshit story and they are sending me a replacement lid :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Anyway salvaged the seal on the lid and have it soaking on some 95% spirit. Will post the results if it leeches or not :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

storage

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:15 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Anyway salvaged the seal on the lid and have it soaking on some 95% spirit. Will post the results if it leeches or not :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Would love a pic.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Sam. » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:16 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:Anyway salvaged the seal on the lid and have it soaking on some 95% spirit. Will post the results if it leeches or not :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Would love a pic.

Of what?

EDIT: Sorry, should read the fucking post properly :angry-banghead: hang on a minute :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Sam. » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Allright, here is the original seal.
original seal.JPG

Here it is after soaking on 95% for approx 6 hours.
soaking.JPG

Here it is next to the same 95% and they are both diluted to approx 40% for tasting purposes.
difference.JPG

Yeah the one with the seal was :puke-huge: .

Will try again later with soaking the un submerged half in 40% because that is what I am planning on putting in the jar.

And no, I am not going to have the lid seal wet when I store but the seal around the tap appears to be of the same material ;-)

Not trying to shit on your find Pete, but these are things you need to consider.

I personally will probably still keep some gear in it, might have a litre of sacrificial shit in it for a while to get rid of most of the taste :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby bt1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:29 am

Geez,

that don't look to good at all. Are going to make your own instead out something stable?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

storage

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:24 am

Yeah that might be the go will have to investigate removing the tap
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Jonno » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:35 pm

hey all,

what's the consencus on storing low wines in a keg out in the elements? Would hot days/cold days have much of an effect on the low wines?

Only reason i ask this is because i'm trying to play my new bbq/brew area and thinkin about building a shelf system there for some kegs.

Cheers
Jonno

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Jonno wrote:hey all,

what's the consencus on storing low wines in a keg out in the elements? Would hot days/cold days have much of an effect on the low wines?

Only reason i ask this is because i'm trying to play my new bbq/brew area and thinkin about building a shelf system there for some kegs.

Cheers

Hi jonno, since all my distilling gears been banned from the house, I keep the kegs of low wines under the shade of some trees with no noticable ill effects yet. Same goes for my 200l fermenters and still.
You just need to get a big dog to keep a eye on it all for ya.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby kelbygreen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:18 pm

well few weeks ago I thought I might have a look in the local cheap shop and what do you know they have a few different glass bottles.

So I picked these up $7 each and they are 4lts but will fit 3.5 nice the one full has got over 3.5lt in it

kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby bt1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:22 pm

+1 kelby,

picked up 20 x4lt at local $2 store...end of clearance...don't forget well loose the 5lt etc soon as its no longer considered safe...fuckin OHS dicks...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kelbygreen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:27 pm

yeah I only put that in there 2 days ago but getting wife to get some silicone baking trays tomorrow as there is no lid seal and I dunno what that plastic is but rather cut a silicone seal so the condensation doesnt touch the plastic.

Oh they musnt sell many the lady is like what are you getting these for? I was like wife does alot of baking and needs something to hold flour and sugar :laughing-rolling:

Why is it every time you go to buy shit for distilling they ask what its for? I can buy anything else any day of the week and never get asked. Buy mollasses they ask, buy cooper they ask, buy glass jar they ask lol
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Brendan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm

bt1 wrote:+1 kelby,

picked up 20 x4lt at local $2 store...end of clearance...don't forget well loose the 5lt etc soon as its no longer considered safe...fuckin OHS dicks...

bt1

I've got a couple of 12L ones with the red lids, that came from the reject shop...perfect for a low wines strip run, I fill it and turn the rig off.

So we're losing 5L and up? :think: Might have to go and see what I can get my hands on.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

storage

Postby kingy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:06 am

Esbrewing now do there glass 2 litre flagons with lid for $2 each if you buy a lot of 20. Delivery for me was 20 bux. You little ripper !!!
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:52 pm

What do people think about something like this?

http://www.thepackagingshop.com.au/prod ... e=D0201005

Only issue is plastic bung. But can imagine it being too hard to attach a tap.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:02 pm

Andy wrote:What do people think about something like this?

I have a feeling there is zinc and other compounds in the coating of those drums , might be wrong but the most recomended safe storage vessels are Glass, stainless steel, and i believe glassed earthenware .
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby millert85 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 am

they look the same as the 20L we buy methanol and other high alcohol racing fuel in at work. never had any rusting issues inside one if stored with the lid on, but i've never tasted the methanol to see if they leach flavour 8-}
millert85

equipment: 2nd hand reflux (no idea what it is)

Postby kiwikeg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:39 am

Andy wrote:What do people think about something like this?

I think you may find the inside is plastic coated too... They get a :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown: from me....
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions